In Anthem you are required to solve the Challenges of the Legionnaires to advance the story. This guide will show what to do for each challenge and where to find each Tomb of the Legionnaires. There are 4 tombs in total but each of them has multiple challenges. You must beat the challenges to open the door to the tombs. Then enter the tomb to open the sarcophagus inside, which rewards you with some items and completes the tomb.
How to Unlock Tombs of the Legionnaires
First you must beat the story mission “Finding Old Friends”. Just do all available contracts and missions until you get this. During this mission you meet Haluk and Faye. After the mission they will join you in Tarsis (the hub area). Talk to Faye in the basement of Tarsis and she will mark the 4 Tomb of the Legionnaire Locations on the map. You must then find them in the open world in free-roam. We’ll go through each location and challenge requirement below.
Tomb of Gawnes Challenges
- 50 Melee Defeats = Use Melee Attacks to defeat enemies
- 50 Ultimate Defeats = Use your Javelin’s Ultimate ability to defeat 50 enemies. Your ultimate attack is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen via a yellow bar that needs to charge up first. It charges automatically over time. It’s the most powerful attack you have. Try to use it when there are large crowds of enemies in your path.
- 3 Legendary Defeats = Legendaries are the toughest boss enemies with a yellow health bar. They are the bosses in Strongholds and certain missions or contracts.
Tomb of Artina Challenges
- 5 World Events = Fly around the open world and you’ll randomly encounter “world events” which will be highlighted by a purple marker. Do any 5 of those.
- 30 Weapon Defeats = Defeat 30 enemies using firearms
- 15 Weak Point Defeats = Kill 15 enemies by shooting their weakpoint. When you shoot the weakpoint the damage numbers (hitpoints) will have yellow color (the numbers that show the damage you did with each hit). When you found an enemy’s weakpoint just focus on that. It’s often something on their back or their head, but varies with each enemy type. Should come naturally without even trying.
- 9 Elite Defeats = You automatically encounter Elite enemies during Strongholds and certain missions or contracts. They have the prefix “Elite” in their name (text above their head) and are tougher than other enemies. This should come naturally without even trying.
Tomb of Yvenia Challenges
- 15 Treasure Chests = Open 15 Treasures Chests. You find them around the open world but a reliable way to get them is from world events (which randomly appear in the open world via a purple icon). You can just farm different world events and will get a treasure chest at the end. Be sure that you are the player who opens the chest as it doesn’t track properly when someone else opens it for you. While you wait for new World Events to appear just fly around and open any treasure chest you can find, there are plenty of them around the open world.
- 25 Harvests = Harvest 25 Organic Materials / Minerals etc. from deposits in the open world. During open world exploration you can find plants that are harvestable. There are also red crystals deposits that can be harvested for minerals. You find these pretty much anywhere, but a great farming spot is “East Gate” in the top right corner of the map, there are lots of red crystals there.
- 3 Javelins repaired = During Expeditions / Missions / Contracts, revive 3 fallen allies. After a teammate’s health has depleted, just walk up to them to “repair” (revive) them. An easy way to farm this is from Strongholds on hard difficulty. Hang back and wait for your teammates to go down.
- 10 Collectibles = Found any 10 Collectibles in the open world. You can find 10 in the same cave where the entrance to Yvenia’s tomb is. There are 4 green lights on the walls (“Hidden Messages”), and 6 text documents (“Mederines Disciple”) all in this one cave. So really just search in that cave and you don’t have to look any further than that. Only takes 1 minute to collect these.
Tomb of Cariff Challenges
- 3 Missions = Completed any 3 missions, happens automatically when advancing the story. This was automatically completed for me by the time I even unlocked the Tombs from Faye.
- 30 Gear Defeats = Every Javlin has different “special attacks” such as grenades. They are displayed in the bottom right corner of the HUD. Use 30 special gear pieces to defeat enemies. You can change the gear at the Forge.
- 15 Combo Triggers = Combos are triggered when combining different elemental attacks. Use special gear that adds elemental effects or wait for your teammates to set up an enemy for a combo attack. This includes ice, acid, fire etc. Melee attacks can trigger chain reactions too (after an enemy was prepared with elemental attacks). This should come fairly naturally if you use a lot of elemental gear. When you’ve done it correctly it even says “Combo” above the enemies’ heads. Combos deal a lot of extra damage and often result in instant-kills on smaller enemies.
- 3 Multi-Kills = Kill multiple enemies at the same time. This is best done with attacks that cover a wider area. The melee attack of the Colossus works well for it, or use any Javelin’s Ultimate Power (the yellow bar in bottom right corner of HUD) to defeat multiple enemies simultaneously.
That’s all the Challenges of the Legionnaires. Remember to enter all tombs after completing the challenges. This completes the critical objective “Freeplay: Tombs of the Legionnaires” and lets you advance the story further.