You can find 42 Gem Locations in Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex Strikes Back PS4 Remake (5 Colored Gems & 37 Clear Gems). Finding all gems unlocks the gold trophy “Laser Powered Vengence”.
It is highly recommended that you get the colored gems first. This is important because they unlock otherwise inaccessible paths in some levels (see overview table further down on the page). These platforms lead to new boxes that are required for the clear gems.
Colored Gems (5 total)
Obtained by doing certain actions in the following missions:
- Blue: Turtle Woods (Warp Room 1) – complete level without breaking any boxes (in the part with two boxes stacked together, jump on the one with the metal bars because it doesn’t break from a single jump)!
- Red: Snow Go (Warp Room 1) – first you must find the secret exit in level “Air Crash” (see trophy “Jumping the Jetboard”). When you do it teleports you to the warp room in the basement. From here go through the portal to level “Snow Go” which contains the red gem. Please note: starting “Snow Go” from Warp Room 1 does not work. It has to be through the portal in the basement, which only unlocks after you did the “Jumping the Jetboard” trophy.
- Green: The Eel Deal (Warp Room 2) – About 40 seconds into the level the path splits up. Take the right path into the room with lots of Nitro Boxes. There’s a fake wall at the end of the room that you can walk through. This leads to a secret route with the Green Gem at the end of it.
- Yellow: Plant Food (Warp Room 3) – speedrun the level before time runs out – the timer starts after the second checkpoint.
- Purple: Bee-having (Warp Room 4) – About halfway through the level you see some nitro boxes stacked together that look like stairs. Jump on the nitro boxes and they will warp you to a secret route. Complete the route for the Gem.
Clear Gems (37 total)
- Destroying all boxes in a level (dying is allowed). In some missions you need colored gems, they open up new paths to boxes that are otherwise inaccessible! You must also destroy the boxes in bonus levels! If a level has a bonus round it always contains boxes. The bonus levels are triggered by standing on the “?” platforms which are in plain sight. Three levels (Air Crash, Snow Go, Road to Ruin) have an alternate entrance through the Warp Room in the basement. These alternate entrances lead to more boxes that must be destroyed.
- From Death Paths. During levels you will see platforms with a skull & bones sign. They can only be activated if you haven’t lost a life during the level! If you died you can only see the outline of a platform and not the skull & bones symbol. Get to the platform without dying. During some Death Paths you’ll run into Gems.
- From Colored Gem Paths. Not all, but some of them contain a clear gem. After collecting a colored gem you can trigger a colored platform in some levels. These platforms lead to new paths that contain boxes and in rare occassions a clear gem of their own.
- In Level 3 a clear gem is obtained from beating the timer that triggers just before using the first surf board.
Some levels contain more than one Clear Gem due to the combination of all boxes + death path gems / colored gem paths. If a mission has only 1 gem it will be from destroying all boxes. If it has 2 gems that means there’s one from destroying all boxes + one from the death path or colored gem path (level 3 is special, it has a clear gem from beating a timer that triggers automatically).
Crash Bandicoot 2 Gem Locations
|Level Name||Gem Obtained||Requires Gem?||Bonus|
|1 – Turtle Woods||Clear Gem (Boxes)
Blue Gem (Destroy 0 Boxes)
|2 – Snow Go||Clear Gem (Boxes)
*Red Gem is accessed in level 27
|3 – Hang Eight||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Speedrunning the level, the timer starts when reaching the first surf board. When reaching the end of level before timer runs out you earn a gem.)||Blue Gem||Bonus 3|
|4 – The Pits||Clear Gem||Bonus 4|
|5 – Crash Dash||Clear Gem||Bonus 5|
|6 – Snow Biz||Clear Gem||Red Gem||Bonus 6|
|7 – Air Crash||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Death Route)
*Must play Level 26 to break all boxes
Death Route 1
|8 – Bear It||Clear Gem|
|9 – Crash Crush||Clear Gem||Bonus 8|
|10 – The Eel Deal||Clear Gem
|11 – Plant Food||Clear Gem
|12 – Sewer or Later||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Yellow Gem Path)||Yellow Gem||Bonus 11|
|13 – Bear Down||Clear Gem|
|14 – Road to Ruin||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Death Route)
*Must play Level 28 to break all boxes
Death Route 2
|15 – Un-Bearable||Clear Gem||Bonus 13|
|16 – Hangin’ Out||Clear Gem||Bonus 14|
|17 – Diggin’ It||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Death Route)||Bonus 15
Death Route 3
|18 – Cold Hard Crash||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Death Route)||Bonus 16
Death Route 4
|19 – Ruination||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Green Gem Path)||Green Gem||Bonus 17|
|20 – Bee-Having||Clear Gem
|21 – Piston It Away||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Death Route)||Bonus 19
Death Route 5
|22 – Rock It||Clear Gem|
|23 – Night Fight||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Death Route)||Bonus 20
Death Route 6
|24 – Pack Attack||Clear Gem|
|25 – Spaced Out||2 x Clear Gem (Boxes + Multicolor Gem Path, requires all 5 Colored Gems to access)||All 5 Colored Gems||Bonus 21|
|(Secret) 26 – Air Crash 2
|Clear Gem (this is an alternate entrance to level 7 and needed to destroy all boxes)|
|(Secret) 27 – Snow Go 2
|Clear Gem (this is an alternate entrance to level 2 and needed to destroy all boxes)|
|(Secret) 28 – Road to Ruin 2
|Clear Gem (this is an alternate entrance to level 14 and needed to destroy all boxes)|
|(Secret) 29 – Totally Bear
|(Secret) 30 – Totally Fly
|Clear Gem||Bonus 22|