Farming lots of lives quickly is important in Crash Bandicoot and earns you several trophies.
This guide shows the fastest way to farm lives infinitely in the remasterd PS4 version of Crash Bandicoot 1, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.
Some general advice first: you can make the lives in any mission respawn by quitting the mission and immediately reloading the last auto save (in level select press L2 and X to reload). You can have up to 99 lives at the same time!
Crash Bandicoot 1 Remaster Life Farming
In the Crash Bandicoot 1 remaster you have several good options, depending on how far you are into the game:
- Fastest Way (Endgame): First you must earn the green gem by destroying all boxes without dying in level “Lost City” (Island 2). Now head over to the level “Castle Machinery” on island 3. You can now use the green gem path at the very start of Castle Machinery which earns you 29 lives. When you have the lives, pause the game (Options-Button) and quit the mission. Reload the last auto save to make the lives respawn. Repeat as often as you want. Just keep in mind you must reload the latest save to make the lives respawn (can also overwrite and reload a manual save). This will earn you the “On Cloud 99” gold trophy in just 5 minutes.
- Easy Way (Midgame): In mission “Lost City” (island 2) bats are spawning infinitely. Stand under a bat spawn and kill them with jump attacks (X + Square). You get 12 apples for killing them all. They respawn after two seconds and you can repeat infinitely. It takes 5 minutes to earn 10 lives (50 minutes to earn 99 lives for the trophy).
- Slowest Way (Early Game): You can repeat the second level Jungle Rollers. It’s a short and easy level and you can earn 4-5 lives per run. Don’t forget about fruit & life in the bonus level. After finishing the level, reload the last auto save to make the lives respawn. The reason why this is slowest is beause of the loading times and you could potentially die and lose a life if you’re not careful. Practice the level until you can do it without dying or keep playing until you reach the Lost City level which is much easier and more effective.
Having 99 lives at the same time unlocks the gold trophy “On Cloud 99”.
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back Life Farming
In Crash Bandicoot 2 the same general life farming trick applies: get all lives in a level, quit and reload auto save to make everything respawn. Out of all 3 games it has the fastest life farming trick, but it’s quite late in the game.
- Fastest Way (Endgame): In mission Bee-Having (Warp Room 4) play to the first checkpoint. There’s a bee-hive here. Do a slide-attack as soon as the bees spawn to kill them all (press Circle + Square). This will drop a bonus life every time! The bees respawn after 2 seconds. It takes 7 minutes to earn 99 lives. It takes a little bit of practice to get the timing down, but the bees respawn infinitely and there’s a checkpoint nearby in case you die.
Having 99 lives at the same time unlocks the gold trophy “99 Percent Perspiration”.
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Out of all three games Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped takes the longest to farm and takes the most work.
- Fastest Way (Early Game): In Level 3 – Orient Express collect all the lives and apples. This is a very short level and you can hold down R2 to go faster. Each playthrough earns you at least 5 lives if you don’t die. Also jump on the enemies holding up wooden shields. They will boost you up to some towers that contain extra lives. It only takes 1 minute to finish the level. Once you do, reload the last auto save immediately. This makes all lives repawn. Rinse and repeat. With loading times it takes about 2 minutes per run. That’s roughly 40 minutes for 100 lives.
Having 99 lives at the same time unlocks the gold trophy “A Stitch in Time Saves 99”.
Did you find another method that deserves a mention? Leave a comment below.