To unlock Flashpoints in Destiny 2 you must first do Cayde-6’s quest line “Patrols” which is unlocked automatically later into the story. Upon completing the Patrols quest you get the Flashpoint quest from Cayde-6. It requires you to beat 6 public events. The Flashpoints reset weekly and reward you with Powerful Gear. The Powerful Gear is the best way to rank up beyond power level 265.
- After “Main Mission 13: Fury” (near the end of the story) you must talk to Suraya Hawthorne in the farm. This cannot be missed. Afterwards you can unlock Strikes, Challenges and Patrols. Talk to Cayde-6 in the farm to unlock his patrol quest.
- Cayde-6’s quest (milestone) is called “Patrols” and takes place in the EDZ. It will be marked on the map by a blue icon. Complete this quest! It’s a fairly long quest line and will take around 30 minutes.
- After the initial Patrols quest is done, you must complete 3 patrols in the EDZ. There are plenty around the church. You can see them when pressing touchpad (they show up as white icons in the game world).
- Return to Cayde-6 to hand in the quest. He gives you a blue engram. This unlocks the “Flashpoint” quest.
- Complete the Flashpoint. The objective is to complete 6 Public Events or 4 Heroic Public Events.
- Return to Cayde-6 again to complete the Flashpoint and earn a powerful engram. This unlocks the trophy. Do note that the powerful engram scales with your level. You may not want to pick it up yet. It’s best to wait with picking it up until after reaching 265 power. The other vendor’s items are capped to 265 power, so powerful engrams are the best way to rank up beyond that. It’s okay if you turn in the quest, just don’t pick up the engram reward from Cayde-6 just yet. You can let the engram sit there and when your power level increases the engram scales up in real time (unlike other engrams which are fixed to the level you found them at).
Side Note: After the story Cayde-6 is found in the Hangar area of the Tower.
How Do Flashpoints Work?
The Flashpoints change every week and take place in a different destination. They always require you to do a few public events. The reward will always be a legendary powerful engram that contains two or more legendary items for a power level higher than yours. This is the most reliable way to rank up past power level 265. Use the powerful engrams wisely and don’t waste them on characters below 265 power!