The Painter is the 5th chapter in Detroit Become Human. This walkthrough will guide you through all the choices of The Painter level for 100% completion.
Triggers automatically after completing A New Home Chapter.
Here’s a quick overview of the 100% complete flowchart for “The Painter”.
Checkpoint: Arriving Home
- Drop Off Package: After the intro cutscene, drop off the package in the entrance hall at the marked spot, to the left of where you entered.
- Activate Birds: Also in the entrance hall next to where you placed the package you can find a golden birdcage with robotic birds inside. Activate the robotic birds.
- Read “North Pole Russia”: Stay on the ground floor and go inside the living room. On the table in front of the TV sits a magazine. It has two topics.
- Read “Life on Titan”: The same magazine has two topics, be sure to read everything to get both magazine collectibles (they are in the same magazine but count as separate collectibles).
- Wake Carl: Now head upstairs to the master bedroom. Open the curtains to wake Carl. You’ll have to administer Carl’s medicine and then carry him to the bathroom.
- Carl Notices Markus’ Clothes: This flowchart task completes automatically if Markus was attacked by Protesters in Shades of Color (Flowcharts task ‘Protesters Harass Markus’). When you wake Carl he makes a comment about your clothes (because you were roughed up by some people when you went to get the paint). He says to Markus “Hey, what happened to your clothes?” to which Markus replies “Oh it’s nothing, just some demonstrators in the street, Carl”. If you missed the angry mob in Shades of Color this task will not complete.
- Serve Breakfast: Put Carl in his wheelchair and wheel him downstairs. Put him at the dining table in the living room. Then grab the breakfast tray from the kitchen. It’s already prepared, no worries you don’t have to get crafty with cooking. Bring the tray to Carl.
Checkpoint: Find Something To Do
After you serve breakfast Carl needs time to eat. You can pick one side activity to do and the story will progress automatically.
Luckily, you don’t have to do every sub-option per category. Just do each category once and the sub-tasks (e.g. win, lose, draw in chess) will all complete at once, no matter which one you pick. However, to complete this level 100% you will have to replay it 3 times and pick a different main activity each time.
Which of the sub-choices you pick per category doesn’t matter at all. It only results in slightly different dialogues with Carl. If you win at chess or have a draw he is covinced you let him win on purpose. When you read a book he will make a different comment depending on the book, but it has no impact later down the line. When you play piano he will say something changed about you since last time you played.
- Play Chess: The chess board is found on the left side of the living room.
- Read Book: The bookshelf is on the right side of the living room.
- The Republic by Plato
- Tragedies of William Shakespeare
- Odes by John Keats
- Play Biano: The piano is prominently placed at the end of the living room by the door to Carl’s studio.
- Take Carl to the Studio: Simply wheel car to his Studio.
Inside the Studio
Wheel Carl inside the studio (marked as a main objective), Carl uses the help of a machine to paint his painting. Open the curtains so he can start to paint. While he’s busy you can tidy up the Studio. Scan with to find all the things that need tidying (or just wait and watch Carl draw, it has no effect later on). When Carl is done he asks you for your opinion about his painting. It doesn’t matter what you say, the answer he gives is always the same (“…he doesn’t have much left to say, is unhappy with his own work”).
- Paint Something You See: After Carl finishes the painting he asks you to paint something. At first you can only choose between 3 objects. You’ll have to replay the chapter 3 times and always pick a different one.
- Copy Carl’s Painting
- Copy Desk
- Copy Statue
- Paint from the Heart: Now Carl wants you to close your eyes and paint whatever you want. Again, there are 3 main options with 4 sub-choices each. To get them all you’ll have to replay the level 3 times and pick a different main option each time. All 4 sub-choices will complete in the flowchart simultaneously, regardless of which one you pick (so for 100% you need to choose these over 3 playthroughs: Androids, Humanity, Identity).
Leo Intruded to Ask For Money
The painting is done, Carl says “oh my god” because he is surprised (or disturbed) by your painting, and his son Leo intrudes unannounced. He asks for money. Carl suspects he’s on drugs again as he can’t explain where the “money he got lost time” went so quickly. Carl doesn’t give up any more money and Leo leaves.
All done! This concludes The Painter chapter.
Up Next: Partners
For more Walkthroughs, check out the complete Detroit Become Human Walkthrough.