The Valkyrie Queen is the 9th and last Valkyrie and the hardest boss in God of War (2018). She does lots of unblockable attacks and has a lot of health. Even on easy difficulty she can be quite a challenge.
How to Unlock Valkyrie Queen
First you must defeat the 8 “normal” Valkyries. Those are weaker than the Queen, but still require endgame armor or else they will one-hit you. It’s best to keep this for after the story. They are the biggest challenge in the game.
- 4 in Midgard
- 1 in Alfheim
- 1 in Helheim
- 1 in Muspelheim
- 1 in Niflheim
After killing them all (they are marked on the map after the story), head to the Council of Valkyries (marked by blue quest marker, in the north of Midgard). Place the helments of the 8 Valkyries on the throne, in the room with the region’s Mystic Gateway. This will summon the Valkyrie Queen secret boss.
In preparation you should buy a Berserker’s Resurrection Stone from any shop. It can be used to revive yourself with full rage when you die.
Also get one of the top two armor sets in the game. Sindri’s Armor Set which you get from doing all 5 favors for Brok & Sindri in Midgard is recommended. It’s called “Sindri’s Royal Dwarven Armor”. The chest piece has an Arcane Protective Barrier which renders you invincible for a few seconds after triggering a Runic Attack. This will play well with our runic optimized build. Alternatively, the armor you get by doing Sindri’s favor in Niflheim (Ivaldi’s Set) is also good, it adds constant health regeneration but doesn’t have a protective barrier.
Character Build (Cooldown Build)
We’re going to use mostly Runic Attacks for this boss fight. They deal a lot of damage and can stun the Valkyrie Queen (or at least keep her locked down while landing attacks). With Sindri’s Royal Dwarven Armor you get a protective barrier that makes you invulnerable when using Runic attacks. It’s crucial that you max out the cooldown stat as much as you possibly can.
- Fully upgraded Armor Set “Sindri’s Royal Dwarven” Set (Purple Color “Legendary”, Level 6 by default, Level 7 when fully upgraded). The chest piece makes you invulnerable when using Runic attacks.
- Put Epic Runes in all enchantments slots that increase Cooldown Stat.
- Axe Rune – Light Attack: Hel’s Touch (Automatic Story Unlock)
- Axe Rune – Heavy Attack: Frost Giant’s Frenzy (Bought from Shop after Story)
- Blade Runes: Whatever you have that does the most damage. If available, the Light Attack “Rampage of the Furies” and Heavy Attack “Fire of Ares”.
- Atreus Runic attack: whatever does the most damage. If available, the “Murder of Crows”.
- Be sure to fully upgrade all Runic Attacks to Level 3 (go to Weapons, select the rune and hold to upgrade it with XP)
Valkyrie Queen Boss Fight Strategy (works for any other Valkyrie too):
- Put difficulty to easy in-game options.
- At all times, keep shooting the Valkyrie with electric arrows by pressing while you attack. Use electric arrows to stun her.
- Watch out when she has a red “signal” sign around her, this indicates she’s about to launch an unblockable attack – so dodge, dodge, dodge.
- Use Hel’s Touch to stun the Valkyrie. Then unleash all of your other Runic Attacks. Remember after upgrading them they get extra attacks which can be initiated with more buttons presses. For example, the Heavy Axe Runic “Frost Giant’s Frenzy” will do a lot more hits if you keep pressing .
- The key here is that you are invulnerable while using Runic Attacks with Sindri’s Royal Dwarven Armor Set. By maxing out your cooldown stat, you just need to dodge and wait for a few seconds before you can spam them again. Unleashing all runic attacks can take away half of her health in a few seconds + you’re invulnerable while doing it. Ideally, use the runic attacks outlined in the Character Build section or use any other that deal a lot of damage.
- When health gets low, trigger your spartan rage and attack with quick strikes. Be sure to dodge though. While spartan rage is active your health regenerates quickly.
- If you die, quickly press for Atreus to revive you (if you bought the Berserker’s Resurrection Stone from Shop). It revies you with full rage. Trigger it immediately, it will regen your health while you attack. Afterwards, you can immediately trigger another set of Runic Attacks. By this point the valkyrie should be done.
Valkyrie Queen Rewards
Defeating the queen completes the Valkyrie Favors “The High Council” and “God vs. Queen”. You also earn the gold trophy “Chooser of the Slain”.
- Sigrun’s Helmet (Legendary)
- Njörd’s Temporal Stone (Epic): Very low Perk activation chance to temporarily slow nearby enemies when damage is taken.
- Perfect Asgardian Steel (Material): A flawless and hardened piece of Asgardian Valkyrie armour. Used to upgrade armour, Pommels, and Talismans with the powers of the Valkyries.
- Retribution (Epic Axe Pommel): axe throw and recall becom incredibly powerful. Low Perk activation chance to strike with a massively damaging explosion on any successful hit.
- Asgardian Steel (Material): Asgardian metal found on scraps of Valkyrie armour. Used to upgrade armour, Pommels, and Talismans with the powers of the Valkyries.