Leveling up your characters in Injustice 2 is extremely important for several reasons. This guide (for PS4 & Xbox One) shows how to level up all characters quickly and why you should do this as soon as possible. Level 20 is the maximum for every character.
This guide does not apply to the mobile version. It’s for the PS4 & Xbox One console versions.
The Importance of Leveling Up
This is what level ups are good for:
- You unlock new combat moves and abilities. These can be equipped in character select. On your way to level 20 two new abilities will be unlocked per character.
- You can equip higher level gear – which is being used in unranked player matches and gives you a huge advantage over low-level players. Gear levels are also used in single player, most importantly in the Multiverse where you must reach certain levels and attributes to play specific events.
- New gear also lets you customize the looks of your character. To equip level 20 gear you need a level 20 character (character level must be same as gear level or higher).
One thing most newcomers don’t know is the impact of gear effects in unranked online matches (1v1 and King of the Hill). By default all gear effects and character levels are enabled. They can be turned off by pressing the Square-Button (PS4) / X (XB1) in map select. You can toggle gear stats off before the match if both players agree to it. The game never explains this so a lot of people will be playing with low level characters. If you have a level 20 character with epic gear you will be unstoppable against those low levels.
Best Ways How to Level Up Quickly
There are some easy tactics to level up quickly:
- Microtransactions: Buy level ups with Source Crystals (microtransactions). You can buy these from PlayStation Store for real money. With this you can max out all characters in a few minutes. The only requirement is that you reached level 20 with any character by yourself. After that you can pay 10,000 Source Crystals to bring a character to level 20 instantly (in main menu go to character customization and press Triangle on the char you want to max out). You can purchase 150,000 Source Crystals for $49,99 USD on PlayStation Store (that’s $100 for all 28 characters). If you want to max out only one or two characters there’s a package for 23,000 source crystals priced at $9,99 USD.
- AI Battle Simulator (recommended): Farm XP in “AI Battle Simulator” Multiplayer Mode. These are simulated matches that you can speed up (they can run at x4 speed so the matches are very short). You don’t have to play any of these matches, the characters will be AI controlled. It is highly recommended that you get a Turbo Controller or Arcade Stick with turbo function for this! Simply Turbo the X Button and let it sit for a few hours. The good thing is that you can level 3 characters at the same time with this (because this mode has 3 matches in a row and whoever wins 2 out of 3 wins). I maxed out 3 characters every 8 hours. That would be 9 characters per day in the best case scenario. Just turn on the Turbo before going to sleep and let it sit overnight. When you wake up you should have 3 chars maxed out. With 28 chars total it will take a little over 3 days to max out all of them. You just need to change your 3 characters every 8 hours or so. If you don’t have a turbo controller you can still make good use of this mode. Just keep tapping X from time to time while doing other things, or watch the simulated matches and speed them up. Free XP, no fighting required.
- Local Versus with Second Controller: with a second controller do perfect matches in local versus matches. Perfect wins (meaning you didn’t receive damage) give a lot more XP than normal wins. If you want to max out only a certain character this is the best method. Make sure you put the match time to 300 seconds & 1 round in game options. This way you earn more XP per match (XP are partly based on time remaining).
- Online Boosting with a Partner: If you don’t have a second controller, a buddy can help you out online. Invite them to a private 1v1 match and keep doing perfect wins. It’s going to be boring but you get lots of XP quickly. Within minutes you will go from level 1 to 10. Higher levels do take longer to rank up.
- Let AI Farm Endless Mode for You (slowest): Go to Single Player > The Multiverse > Battle Simulator > Endless (must beat the 3 tutorials to unlock Endless Mode). During character select press Square-Button to change loadout and D-Pad Left to select “AI Loadout 1”. Now the AI will be playing for you. You just need to press X after each match to start the next one. This is the slowest farming method mentioned here but it’s an okay alternative if you don’t have a turbo controller or second controller. A nice benefit is that you get lots of item drops and Mother Boxes in endless mode.
And that’s all there is to it. What’s your favorite leveling method? Did you find another way to rank up quickly? Leave a comment below.