Outlast 2 has 55 Document Locations. They are collectibles that you can pick up and make photos of. Finding all documents unlocks the Ordination trophy or achievement. Nothing is missable, you can get them at any time through chapter select by importing the collectibles from an existing save. Outlast 2 features a perfect collectible tracker – you can sort in chronological order, by collectible type, or by chapter. So if you forgot a document you can quickly find out which one it is and get it via chapter select.
The guide below has text descriptions and videos for all Outlast 2 document locations (same order as in-game tracker).
Objective: Find Lynn
- My Dear Sweet Ellie: When you reach the village, check the first house on the right side. Inside you’ll find the first Outlast 2 document location. Also grab a new battery for your camera while you’re here.
- Dear Father: A little further into the village you’ll come by a barn with a dead cow on the floor. There’s a guy at the end of the village staring at you, he runs into a building when you approach. Check the house he runs to (first knock on the door, then open it). Inside is the third document. This is just before opening a window to enter another house.
- Midwife’s Lament: You’ll enter a dark cellar that looks like a blood ritual was recently performed there. On the altar is a document – you’ll walk straight into it, would be hard to miss.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 8: When you encounter the witch enemy you’ll have to crawl into a barn to escape from her. Now move a box to climb up a broken ladder and up here you find a document.
- Visions Come: After the barn area you come to a small village with some enemies roaming around. When reaching the end of the village there will be a bright light that stuns all enemies. Walk up the hill and you’ll find a document on the path (just before you see a church in the distance).
- New Gospels, Part 1: Can be found after opening the first door in the big church (shortly after last document). There’s only one path you can take, so you’ll have to open this door automatically. Behind it is a tiny room with a document on the right side.
- Val’s Secret: Immediately after the last document you enter the prison (there are people trapped in cages). In the middle of the prison jump down the hole in the ground to land on the next document.
- New Gospels, Part 2: After the prison you go through a nicer looking living area. On the top floor is a table with a document on it.
Objective: Get to the chapel
- Ethan’s Letter: After the witch murders the peasant who took you in, check the left corner of the cottage before leaving.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 5: After the last document you must enter a rocky area and walk through some waist-high water. After leaving the water there’s a wooden shack up the hill which contains a document. There’s also a recording collectible nearby.
- Letter from a Husband: After escaping the cornfields you will come to a small village. Under the door of the first house on the left is a document.
Objective: Get through the barn
- Val’s Journal Pt. 1: In the barn where you have to push a cart to climb up a broken ladder. There’s a document location on the upper floor of the barn. It’s sitting on a table with a candle; you’ll walk right into it.
Objective: Find a path to the village
- Temple Gate Anima Cristi: Very shortly after leaving the barn you can see a big stone statue of a woman while going downhill. In front of the statue is a document.
Objective: Get to the chapel
- Val’s Journal Pt. 3: This is in the next village. To enter the first building you must crawl under some broken stairs, then a document can be found in front of you.
- Letter from Val to Knoth: From the last location go upstairs and you’ll find another document on a table.
Objective: Find a way to start the elevator
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 6: This one is tricky to find! You’ll reach a village with some enemies roaming around. In the second house is a hostile villager (it’s the only building with an enemy inside). Go to the back of the house and look for a tiny window at the bottom of the wall. Climb through to reach the house’s cellar and look for the document collectible on a table.
- Val’s Journal Pt. 5: Another well hidden document – still in the same village. Go two houses up the road. The house you’re looking for has its door barricaded. The only way to enter is through the window. In the basement there’s a big shelf you can interact with to push it out of the way (press Square on PS4 / X on XB1). After pushing it you can enter a secret room where the document is located.
- Sundries from the Sinful World: After leaving the village you go up the hill to the generator room. In front of the generator room is a document on the table, very easy to see.
Objective: Investigate the Well
- Garden Note: After exiting the elevator, turn left and look for a corpse with a document next to it.
Objective: Get to the chapel
- Accept my Suicide: After leaving the school and escaping the cultists you’ll come to a circular cave room. Push against the ledge to reach the other side of the cave and pick up the note from the desk.
- Gospel Duty: After being chased by cultists for the second time you’ll reach the basement of a church. In the basement there’s a dark side room with a document inside (disable night vision and you should see it blinking).
- Lesson Plan: It’s on the top floor of the church (same building as last collectible).
Objective: Get over that fence
- A Letter to Mom: From the previous collectible jump through the window on the top floor of the church. You now land in a courtyard. In the corner of the area is a baby stroller with a document inside.
Objective: Get to the chapel
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 10: After using the pushcart to climb over the fence you’ll reach a village. There’s a document in the forge where the woman is singing (she doesn’t attack).
- Temple Gate Act of Contrition: Same village as before – stick to the left side of the road. On the left corner at the end of the village is a document (you can see a windmill in the distance).
- Val’s Journal Pt. 4: After escaping the witch in the village and climbing over the fence, search the first house on the right side. There’s a cupboard in a side room that can be moved around (press Square on PS4 / X on XB1). Behind the cupboard is a secret ritual room with a document on the floor.
- Rest These Bone: From the last collectible location go outside, follow the road and take a left turn at the first chance you get (through an open gate and past the statue of a woman). At the end of the path is a little graveyard and document.
- Letter from Nick to Knoth: Immediately after opening the chapel doors this document is on a table in front of you, very easy to see.
Objective: Find a path to the mine
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 2: You’ll come to a room with a singing woman holding a baby (she’s not hostile). In the next room the doc can be found on a table.
- Val’s Journal Pt. 2: From the location of the last collectible head out the window and go into the house on the opposite side (do not enter the cornfields yet). In that house is a little altar with a document.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 1: After escaping the water mill there’s a wooden shack with lights turned on and a dead cow in front of it. Some planks are missing from the barn, giving you a way in by crouching or crawling. Here you’ll find the document collectible (the witch is also patrolling this area).
- To Marta, My Avenging Angel: In the slaughterhouse where you get the hook. Jump through the same window where you take the hook and you’ll see the document near some cadavers.
- Outside Marta’s Chapel: After using the hook from the slaughterhouse to open a hatch at the other end of the map you will escape the witch one more time and end up on the path to the mines (“Babylon” trophy / achievement unlocked). Follow the path uphill until you come to a flight of stairs and some holy crosses. The document is by the stairs.
Objective: Cross the Bridge
- Scalled Bound: After the school dream you’ll be teleported to a hilltop. On your descent you’ll reach a broken railroad bridge. Before crossing the bridge look behind the rock at the start of the bridge.
Objective: Find a different path to the mine
- Welcome to Plague: After your crash landing (falling off the bridge) walk downstream, through the dark forest. At one point the path will get very narrow and you’ll run into a document. You walk straight into it, just look at the ground.
- Our Quarantine: A little bit later you must crawl through a tree trunk (unmissable story part). Afterwards jump down the cliff in front of you to find a document near a corpse.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 4: Immediately after the last document location you encounter the sick mine workers. Follow the creek into the cave where 4 of them are washing themselves. At the end of the cave you can climb up to find this hidden doc.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 9: Same area as last collectible — follow the path until you run into an enemy who’s attacking you (the only hostile in the area). There’s a house where you encounter him (it’s a little bit further up the hill than the last house). You can enter the house from the back by crouching under it. Inside is a document and battery.
- The Hegemon: In the next house, with 4 sick miners standing in front of it.
- This document is found much later into the game. After the crucifixion you must retrieve your camera and survive another school visit. Afterwards you get teleported back into the real world. The room you spawn in has the document.
- Memo to a Corpse: There is a big gap between the last document and this one. It’s after being buried alive. It’s very close to your casket, in the dark woods. There aren’t any good reference points to describe this one, just run in tight circles around the casket and disable night vision. You can see the document blinking in the dark. It’s roughly 15-20 meters / yards from the casket.
- Gospel to the Scalled Christ: From the last document go uphill. You’ll reach a camp and there’s another document on the altar. It’s very easy to see, you’ll walk into it while passing through the camp.
Objective: Find a rope to go down
- I Took yur Rope: You’ll come to a room where you are supposed to attach a rope to rappel down. In that room is a document, it’s very easy to see and you’ll walk straight into it.
Objective: Find a way to cross the lake
- Come With These Men: Shortly after leaving the school you’ll reach a lake with a beach and 3 docks. On the left side of the beach there’s a house. Crawl under the house to enter it (there are some planks missing under the house, so you can stand up and climb inside). The document is in here.
- Old Traveler: This one is really well hidden. Exit the house where the last document was found. Now hug the wall on the left side of the area and swim through the lake. There’s a little island on the left side where a document and battery are located.
- In the next area where you are supposed to use the raft, there are two houses by the beach. A document is in the left house.
- From the last location head to the far right of the area into the cave. At the end of the cave there’s a document (before using the raft).
Objective: Get back to your raft
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 3: Immediately after your raft crashes you’ll be standing next to a tree trunk. By the tree trunk is a document and battery.
Objective: Find the mine entrance
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 13: This one is rather well hidden. It’s after entering the mine facility (Golgatha trophy / achievement unlocked). When you enter someone will close the door behind you. In the second room of the mine facility. When entering the room hug the wall on the right side and you’ll run into the document near a corpse. This is BEFORE you encounter the blood-smeared man who has a talk with you. If you encounter him you went too far (also before you enter the school again).
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 12: After the last location you go through the school again. Once you leave the school, go into the next building (back in the real world) and look in the right corner of the room (very dark).
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 7: After the next school sequence (not the one described in the previous collectible, this is a little later after yet another school visit) – in the first building you are in, back in real world. At one point you’ll have to squeeze through a gap between two shelves. After squeezing through it there is a battery on a desk and a document on the floor. Disable night vision so you can see it blinking.
Objective: Find Lynn
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 11: Inside the mine – shortly after your elevator comes crashing down walk into the dark mine. At one point the path will split up and you can go left or right. Go left and at the end of the path you’re going to find a document collectible location.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 14: In the mines there will be a point where you have to push a mine cart. After pushing the cart the document can be found in the next mine section by a campfire.
- The Atheist: To escape the cultist boss lady you must turn off the power. Then you must escape her a second time. This collectible is after the 2nd escape. You’ll go through a flooded area and then there’s a ladder that you are supposed to climb up. Instead of climbing up the ladder look for a crack in one of the walls. Push through and you’ll find the note of an atheist.
- Knoth’s Gospel Ch. 15: Same area — climb up the aforementioned ladder. You now have to climb a wooden scaffold. Once on top follow the mine cart tracks and you’ll run into the last document location of Outlast 2. Congrats, you’ve earned the Ordination Trophy / Achievement. If you missed a document you can get it via chapter select at any time, your progress will carry over!
Want more collectibles? You may like the following guides: