The fastest way to make money in Red Dead Redemption 2 is to play main missions. You get thousands of dollars for some early and mid-game missions and $20,000 for beating the story. Nothing else is faster. It’s as simple as that. The main missions tied to robberies give the most. There are lots of missions in between that give only little money but most chapters have at least one mission that gives a lot of cash.
Once you’ve beaten the story the $20,000 are more than enough to last you to 100% Game Completion. If you want to get money from exploration you have multiple options, we’ll go through it all below.
Main Missions (Fastest Way)
- $20,000 for beating the story
- Most chapters have one mission with a big payday (robberies). Some robbery main missions give over $1000.
- Main missions are BY FAR the very fastest way to make money in RDR2. Nothing else gets even close.
Sell looted valuables at Fence (Extra Cash)
- Sell your valuable loot to the fence for cash instead of donating it to the camp’s tithing box. You get lots of valuables by looting dead enemies.
- This is a nice source of bonus cash for “junk” you have in your inventory. Fences are found at Rhodes, Saint Denis, Van Horn Trading Outpost.
Treasure Hunts (Very Fast $7000)
- There are 4 Treasure Hunts, see this guide: Red Dead Redemption 2 Treasure Map Locations & Solutions.
- They only take 10-15 minutes each and give you between $1000-$2500. In total you can get $7000 from the 4 treasure hunts.
- Two are available in Chapter 2 already. One in Chapter 3, the other is an exclusive bonus for people who bought the special edition / deluxe edition.
- At the end of each treasure hunt you get gold bars that you can sell to fences for $500 a piece.
Bring Stolen Wagons to Wagon Fence
- There’s a wagon fence at Emerald Ranch (directly to the east of Valentine). Steal wagons from the roads nearby and sell them to him.
- Not as effective as the story missions.
- Rob Shops, Trains, Stagecoaches, and Homesteads.
- Not as effective as the story missions but needed for 100% completion and a fun past time.
These are the best ways of getting money in RDR2.
For more guides, check out the full Red Dead Redemption 2 Wiki & Strategy Guide.