Red Dead Redemption 2 Online mode contains a camp. It’s quite a bit different from your singleplayer camp though, so we’ll go through what changed and what your camp does in RDR2’s multiplayer.
- Your camp has only one companion called “Cripps” who is unlocked after the tutorial. You can buy new costumes for Cripps at camp and also buy camp upgrades from him. Some upgrades give gameplay bonuses, while others are purely cosmetical. Generally, the camp upgrades are not that useful though and better kept for later after you’ve bought all weapons.
- You can cook meat at the campfire.
- You can have purchased items delivered to your camp through the portable catalog . They are then found inside a big lockbox at camp.
- You can change your outfit at your tent.
- The camp acts as a safe zone where other players cannot attack you (same as shops). You can lower the flag at your camp by looking at it with / to remove the safe area.
You can move your camp around from the item wheel (open weapon wheel, press / and select the camp at the bottom). During the online tutorial your camp will stay in a fixed location but later on it changes location automatically every in-game day. Relocating a small camp costs $1 and allows for 1-4 players to be in your posse. Relocating a big camp costs $2 and allows you to have 1-7 posse members.
Your camp is always marked on the map and the HUD (looks like a green triangle icon). If you can’t find it, turn your character in the direction of the HUD’s camp icon so that your character’s arrow is pointing toward the camp. Then open the map and follow in a straight line of where your character is facing. If you still can’t find it, just move it to a new place. There is no way to fast travel directly to your camp so you’re going to have to ride there each time.
All Online Camp Upgrades
Below are all possible online camp upgrades. Look at Cripps inside your camp by pressing + / + to start buying the upgrades. Buying 5 camp upgrades (e.g. 5 flag colors for $50 each) will unlock the “Home Comforts” trophy / achievement.
- Standard – no effect
- Traveling Opulence – no effect
- The Hobo Life – no effect
- Military Surplus – no effect
- Survivor – no effect
- Bedrolls – Refills your Cores to 15% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 25% faster when entering a camp.
- Lean-To – Refills your Cores to 25% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 50% faster when entering a camp.
- A-Frame – Refills your Cores to 35% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 75% faster when entering a camp.
- Tall Lean-To – Refills your Cores to 45% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 100% faster when entering a camp.
- Open-Air Lean-To – Refills your Cores to 55% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 125% faster when entering a camp.
- Covered Lean-To – Refills your Cores to 65% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 150% faster when entering a camp.
- Covered – Refills your Cores to 75% when entering Free Roam. Your Cores refill 175% faster when entering a camp.
- There are 8 flag colors for your camp but they are only cosmetic and have no gameplay benefits
- Fast Travel Post – allows you to fast travel from Camp
Cripps’ Outfits (he’s your camp companion but these are only cosmetic outfits for him with no benefits to you):
- Standard 1 – no effect
- Standard 2 – no effect
- Standard 3 – no effect
- Standard 4 – no effect
- Standard 5 – no effect
- Travelling Opulence 1 – no effect
- Travelling Opulence 2 – no effect
- The Hobo Life 1 – no effect
- The Hobo Life 2 – no effect
- Military Surplus 1 – no effect
- Military Surplus 2 – no effect
- Survivor 1 – no effect
- Survivor 2 – no effect
To get the trophy and achievement “Master Craftsman” for crafting 20 items, you can simply cook 20 pieces of meat. Since you need a campfire, your camp is the only place to do it. You can store the cooked meat in your satchel.
Retrieve Purchased Items
You can press to buy items from the portable catalog. They will get delivered to the box in your camp as well as the post office.
You can view your wardrobe at your tent and change your outfit.
Your camp is a safe zone where other players cannot attack you. However, by lowering your flag you can remove the safe zone if you are looking for a fight! Look at it with to lower the flag. The flag colors can be changed by purchasing them from Cripps.
That’s all the functionality your online camp offers in Red Dead Redemption 2. Hope you learned something new. For more guides, check out our full Red Dead Redemption 2 Strategy Guide.