This video shows a full Walkthrough of The Last Guardian from start to end (5 Hour Speedrun, No Deaths).
Beating The Last Guardian in 5 hours or less without dying unlocks the following trophies:
- Lightning Emissary [Gold]
- Untouchable Emissary [Gold]
- Fleet Emissary [Silver]
- Spry Emissary [Bronze]
- Though We Are Far Apart [Bronze]
Whether you are simply stuck in an area or want to refresh your memory for the speedrun this video will help you out. I go through all areas as fast as possible and do only what’s necessary to progress in the story.
The 5 hour limit isn’t too difficult to beat. My final time was around 4h 30min (a few minutes were loading screens). I did this on my second playthrough. There is some room for error but you can’t mess up too often.
Here are a few tips when going for Lightning Emissary & Untouchable Emissary:
- There is no way to see your in-game time. Use a stopwatch to keep track.
- Restarting checkpoints does not count as a death. Make use of this when you are about to die, miss a jump or fall into the abyss.
- Getting eaten by Trico does not count as a death. He will eat you in the antenna rooms which is part of the story and results in a cutscene.
- Back up your save game whenever you’ve completed a section quickly (USB device / PS+ Cloud). If you were slow reload that save to try again. Go to PS4 Settings > Application Saved Data Management to backup and restore save games.
- Sometimes Trico just glitches out and doesn’t do what he’s supposed to. The controls are also a nightmare sometimes. These are common problems and the biggest challenge in beating the 5 hour target. You always have to get lucky that Trico listens to your commands. If you are stuck for too long reload your last backup save.
- When pausing the game you should also dashboard out to the XMB (press PS-Button after pausing). This is probably not needed but the safest option as it will stop the game entirely.
- I started a COMPLETELY NEW GAME when doing this. After finishing the game you will see a “Continue” option in the title screen which puts you in New Game+. Just to be safe I deleted my save game and started from scratch (PS4 Settings > Application Saved Data Management). This is probably not needed, but the safest option (you can back up your old save game before deleting it).
- There is no chapter select. This means the only way to practice is by reloading your backed-up save. Then play the next section until you are satisfied with your speed. Reload the save from USB/PS+ to practice the section again.
- The game keeps counting the time when you die (and doesn’t reset timer to last checkpoint). Dying can cost a lot of time if you have to repeat long sections. Always reload the backup save when you die.
- R1+Triangle tells Trico to jump up. Face in the direction you want him to jump to. This is the command you’ll need the most (works only after unlocking this skill a little while after first antenna).
- It doesn’t have to be done in one sitting. You can save the game, turn off your PS4 and continue later.