This guide explains how to get the Recollection of Aurelianus in Vampyr, a secret melee weapon that unlocks the Bloody Roots trophy or achievement.
Where to find Recollection of Paulus Aurelianus Location?
The recollection of Paulus Aurelianus is a sword under the Temple Church in the northern part of West-End district. The earliest chance to go there is during Chapter 5 (story takes you there). However, you can’t actually unlock the weapon until Chapter 6.
There’s a guy called Usher Talltree (fortune teller) sitting under the Temple Church. In front of him on the stairs are 4 pressure pads on the floor, they make a noise when you step on them. Behind the wall by the treasure pads is the sword you need.
This secretive sword is also mentioned in the text collectibles of the series “The Brotherhood of Saint-Paul Stole”.
How to Get Recollection of Paulus Aurelianus
You must step on the pressure pads in the correct combination. Problem is, they are randomized and will be different for every player on every playthrough. So we must first gather the required collectible documents that reveal the combination.
Step 1 (Usher Side Quest):
Start Usher’s Side Quest (Investigation) called “Pandora’s Box” (the guy sitting under Temple Church in West-End district). Exhaust all dialogue options with him and he will grant you the quest. He will ask you to get his notebook back but requests that you do not read it, for it holds knowledge too powerful for even an immortal vampire. You must abide by this request and DO NOT read the document. He only gives you the needed collectible if you did NOT read the notebook. Otherwise you’re done and need to start a new playthrough from scratch.
His quest sends you to the theater in Whitechapel. It opens back up in Chapter 6 (it’s impossible in Chapter 5 when you first meet Usher). You can track the quest in the Local Investigations Menu to see the quest markers on the map. There are two guys on the top floor of the Theater (if they aren’t spawning you must go to the theater’s basement first and get another note a wall in the room with the safe). Kill them to get a key to the safe in the basement. Open the safe and retrieve the notebook. I repeat DO NOT read the notebook you get from the safe. Just stand still after you get it until the button prompt to view it has disappeared and don’t open any menus until you have brought it back to Usher.
When returning to Usher he now rewards you with the Collectible Document “The Brotherhood of Saint-Paul Stole: Origin of the Brotherhood” because you didn’t read the notebook as promised.
View the collectible he gives you. In the top right corner are 4 signs and the layout of where the pressure pads ads (you can even see the staircase at the bottom and left drawn into it). The 4 signs will be different for every player, it’s random! But they are the key to decipher the combination in Step 3.
The decypher code in the top right corner of collectible “The Brotherhood of Saint-Paul Stole: Origin of the Brotherhood”:
Step 2 (Get All 30 Collectibles):
You will want to find all 30 text collectibles in the game. You can still clean them up in Chapter 6 but be sure to do it before the final boss fight as there’s no way back after it.
Refer to our Vampyr Collectible Guide for all their locations. The collectible documents hold the clues you need to figure out the solution. Some of them will have a white dot in the top left corner when viewing them (after clicking on them in the collectible menu). On those marked by a white dot is the symbol corresponding to Usher’s collectible and a dot indicating the sequence number in which you need to step on the pressure pad. It should be 6 moves total so only 6 random collectibles out of 30 will hold clues. There is some variation to it so each player will have different collectibles with a clue on them. You just have to find them all and check them all.
Step 3 (Get the Solution using Usher’s Document + Other Collectibles)
With all the tedious preparation done now is the moment of truth.
- View the collectible you got from Usher “The Brotherhood of Saint-Paul Stole: Origin of the Brotherhood”. Take note of the 4 symbols in the top right corner (randomized for every player). These symbols represent the pressure pads to step on:
- View all your collectible documents. Click on them in the menu. Check which ones have a white dot in the top left corner. All of these will show a symbol corresponding to the pressure pads from Usher’s document. Next to the symbol are then dots indicating the sequence order to step on it. The one below has a fish and a 5 dots. So you know fish pressure pad is the 5th to step on. Click the image to enlarge it for greater detail:
- Check all remaining collectibles and repeat the process. Write down the symbol and number of dots on the document to get the order. Here’s are more examples:
- There should be 6 moves total (1 dot, 2 dots, 3 dots, 4 dots, 5 dots, 6 dots). So in total the combination consists of 6 moves.
- According to early reports the combination seems to be: Fish, Circle (or “P”), Square, Circle (or “P”), Fish, Rhombus. This appears to be the fixed order but needs more confirmation.
Now you know the combination and just need to step on the pressure pads. Then the wall will open and you can grab this unique melee weapon!
That’s it — Recollection of Paulus Aurelianus & Bloody Roots trophy unlocked, you’ve successfully solved the game’s biggest mystery.
I would like to give a special thanks to MackDaddyT99 & SnowNinjaRaccoon & Amfiray for their tips and help to figure this out.