Shears’ Counterattack is a side quest in Final Fantasy 7 (VII) Remake. This walkthrough will guide you through all objectives of the Shears’ Counterattack Side Mission (Odd Job).
Side Quest: Shears’ Counterattack
Area: Sector 6 Slums – Wall Market
Quest Giver: Gatekeeper
Requirement: Make the following choices in Chapter 9:
- Sam Dialogue (Chocobo Cowboy): When describing Tifa to him pick “She’s great at handling the books”.
- In Wall Market, don’t talk to the guy in front of the hotel and don’t talk to the hotel receptionist.
- In Wall Market, Ignore the Johnny Discovery Event (where he runs away) and head straight for the main objective.
- When Sam does the coin flip, pick “Heads”.
- Pick the most expensive massage “Luxury Course – 3000 Gil”
- When Aerith asks how you like her outfit “Looks comfortable”.
- Complete ‘The Underground Colosseum’ main objective & “Parting Ways” main objective.
- Complete “Burning Thighs” side quest.
- Complete “The Price of Thievery” side quest.
Reward: Arcane Scepter, HP and MP restored, Manuscript: The Art of Swordplay Vol. IX (Hard Difficulty Only)
Mission Info: The Colosseum gatekeeper asks you to participate again. Accept the challenge.
- Head to the Colosseum and select the ‘Special Match’
- Defeat the Jury-Rigged Cutter and claim your reward
Starting Location: Shears’ Counterattack
Warning: This Side Quest requires specific choices in Chapter 9, see the requirements listed above and replicate them exactly. If you make different choices you get two alternate quests instead A Dynamite Body, The Party Never Stops (click on them for their requirements). These optional quests are also needed for the “Best in the Business” trophy, which you can do after the story in chapter select. Since they cancel out the alternate Chapter 9 quests you can only do one or the other on the 1st playthrough.
Head to the Colosseum and select the ‘Special Match’
Head over to the Colosseum and speak to the Gatekeeper. Select ‘Special Match’ and you’ll be taken to the arena.
Defeat the Jury-Rigged Cutter and claim your reward
You’ll have to fight a Jury-Rigged Cutter, an upgraded version of the Cutter enemy. a new enemy at this stage. It shouldn’t post much of a threat if you have strong Lightning magic, which will do tremendous damage. It can hit fairly hard, but is also slow and lumbering so you can dodge most of its attacks. Once he’s defeated, return to Madam M at the entrance to the arena and she’ll reward you with an Arcane Scepter (if this is your first playthrough of Chapter 9) or simply just restore your HP/MP if you completed the other branch of Chapter 9 side quests on a previous playthrough.
This finishes Shears’ Counterattack side quest in Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Important for Best in the Business Trophy: To get this quest you must ignore the Johnny Discovery Event in Chapter 9 Wall Market which locks you out of the 2 alternate Side Quests The Party Never Stops, A Dynamite Body. After the story you unlock Chapter Select and can get these 2 alternate quests via chapter select without having to replay the entire game. Once you did all 26 side quests you get trophy “Best in the Business”. You can’t get all 26 side quests in a single playthrough.
For all other Side Quest Walkthroughs, check out our complete Final Fantasy 7 (VII) Walkthrough.