Sekiro Shadows Die Twice has 4 different endings you can unlock. This guide explains how to get all Sekiro Endings. Seeing every ending will reward you different trophies and achievements, so if you want to platinum the game you will have to get all of them.
Important Notice: The fastest way to achieve the platinum trophy or 1000 Gamerscore is with 2 playthroughs. Here’s how:
- After defeating “Corrupted Monk” and “Guardian Ape” (both unmissable main bosses), return to Ashina Castle. On the tower roof talk to Great Shinobi Owl and pick his 2nd dialogue “Break the Iron Code, Stay loyal to Kuro”. Then beat Great Shinobi Owl
- Eavesdrop for Purification Ending and kill the Owl in Hirata Estate to receive Aromatic Flower
- Finish all steps needed for Return ending BEFORE defeating the Divine Dragon in Fountainhead Palace
- Secure your save game and get all 3 endings while reloading your save game for each one (see below how to back up save games). You can still back up the save after beating Isshin the Sword Saint and choose between the 3 endings this way – to choose the endings you will have to decide what you give to Kuro who is lying on the ground. Dragon Tears for Immortal Severance, Divine Dragon’s Tears + Frozen Tears for Return, Divine Dragon’s Tears + Aromatic Flower for Purification.
- Go into New Game+ and finish the game with Shura ending BUT before getting the Shura Ending + All Bosses trophy secure your save BEFORE the talk with Owl. Once you have the last ending and the bosses done reload your save BEFORE owl and fight him instead. You want to do this because you want to grab all the Lapis Lazuli you are still needing from Fountainhead and you can’t visit the location if you chose to obey Owl.
This way you will get all 4 endings and will beat all bosses on one savefile as well.
PS4 Save Game Backup: Go to PS4 Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Copy to USB or PS+ Cloud (if you use PS+ Cloud make sure you disable auto-uploads for Sekiro or else it will overwrite your backup save automatically). If you like to keep multiple backups from different points in the game (e.g. before encountering Owl on Tower Roof), you can copy the PS4 folder from USB flash drive to a computer, this way you can have unlimited save game backups and copy them back as needed.
Xbox One Save Game Backup: Exit the Game (exiting the game overwrites cloud save!) > as soon as ending achievement pops, press Home-Button > scroll down to Sekiro Shadows Die Twice > press Options > Manage Game > Saved Data > click Gamertag > Delete Saved Data > Delete from Console > if it still shows the save, delete it again until it’s gone > press Home-Button and restart the game > it will now sync / download your save from cloud! If in doubt about any step please test it on a secondary dummy account first where you don’t risk losing any progress.
Ending 1 – Shura
Shura is the fastest possible ending in Sekiro. After defeating Guardian Ape in Sunken Valley and the purple glowing Corrupted Monk in Ashina Depths you will have to head back to Ashina Castle where Great Shinobi Owl awaits you at the rooftop. After talking to him you will have the choice to either betray Kuro or stay loyal to Kuro. Choose the first dialogue choice that lets you betray Kuro “Obey the Iron Code, forsake Kuro”.
This triggers two boss fights and you will receive the Shura Ending.
This also unlocks the Shura trophy or achievement.
Ending 2 – Purification
IMPORTANT NOTE: Finish Steps 1-8 (getting Bell from Emma) BEFORE defeating Divine Dragon in Fountainhead Palace or you will lock yourself out of this ending! Steps 9-10 (killing Owl Father) can still be done AFTER defeating the Divine Dragon up until defeating the Endboss. This way you can max out all your stats first before taking on the Owl Father, to make this an easier fight.
Just as the first ending you will have to reach the rooftop with the Great Shinobi Owl. This time we’ll take the opposite dialogue choice to stay loyal to Kuro. Follow these steps to unlock the Purification Ending:
- When talking to Owl on the tower roof of Ashina Castle you must pick the 2nd dialogue “Break the Iron Code, stay loyal to Kuro”. Meeting Owl is an unmissable part of the story after having defeated Corrupted Monk and Guardian Ape.
- After defeating Owl eavesdrop on Kuro from behind a corner in his room (if it doesn’t let you, exhaust all dialogues with Kuro first and rest at idol, then retry)
- Rest and head upstairs to talk to Emma about Kuro, pick her 1st dialogue “I agree. Kuro cannot be allowed to die.”
- Rest and talk to Emma again
- Head to Old Grave Idol, go left immediately to the graves and talk to Emma again
- Head to Dilapidated Temple (Sculptor) and eavesdrop on Emma and the Sculptor from behind the building
- Confront Emma (still at Dilapidated Temple) and exhaust all dialogues to receive “Father’s Bell Charm” from her
- Use the bell at the Buddha statue that brought you to Hirata Estate earlier in the game (the statue is inside the Sculptor’s House at Dilapidated Temple, to the left of where Emma is standing). This will teleport you to a different version of Hirata Estate with new bosses.
- Beat Owl in Hirata Estate, he drops an Aromatic Flower (aka Everblossum). You find Owl at Hirata Audience Chamber idol, in the same room Lady Butterfly main boss was in.
- Follow the story progress up until the final boss fight against Isshin the Sword Saint. After beating him choose to give Kuro Divine Dragon’s Tears + Everblossum. You should back up your save game after defeating the Sword Saint endboss so you can reload it for the other endings.
This unlocks the Purification trophy or achievement.
Ending 3 – Immortal Severance
Just as the 2nd ending you will have to reach the rooftop with the Owl. Stay loyal to Kuro and defeat Owl instead, follow the story up until the end and give Kuro only the Dragon’s Tears.
This unlocks the Immortal Severance trophy or achievement.
Ending 4 – Return
IMPORTANT NOTE: Finish all the steps BEFORE defeating Divine Dragon in Fountainhead Palace or you will lock yourself out of this ending!
First of all, it’s worth noting that the steps for this ending can be done in different orders. The below is the recommended path that is 100% confirmed to work (I tested this 3 times and it worked every time). If you already did some steps unintentionally that won’t void anything, in that case you can simply skip the steps you already did.
Step 1: Just like the “Purification” & “Immortal Severance” endings you will have to reach the rooftop with Great Shinobi Owl in Ashina Castle. You get there automatically after having finished the “Corrupted Monk” in Ashina Depths and “Guardian Ape” in Sunken Valley. It’s an unmissable story encounter. When talking to Owl pick his 2nd dialogue “Break the Iron Code, Stay Loyal to Kuro”. Then kill Great Shinobi Owl.
Step 2: The second step for the ending is the Divine Child in Inner Sanctum. Accept rice from her and get rid of it 3 times by eating it from the inventory. After each rice you must fast travel away (Dilapidated Temple works) and back to Inner Sanctum so she gives you the next Rice. Do this until you have received 3 rice total. If you already got a Rice from her earlier in the story you must eat it first or else she won’t give you any more rice.
Step 3: After she gave you Rice 3 times she will get sick and ask for Persimmon. You can buy Persimmon from the merchant at Shugendo idol (Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo). From the idol you need to drop down the left and walk across some wooden boards by the cliffside to find the merchant at the end of the path.
Step 4: Feed the Persimmon to the Divine Child at Inner Sanctum to heal her. Then she gives you “Rice for Kuro”.
Step 5: Give the “Rice for Kuro” to the Divine Heir Kuro. He’s in “Kuro’s Room” in Ashina Castle. He’ll say “I’ll make something nice for you. You’ll have to wait and see”.
Step 6: Fast travel away (e.g. Dilapidated Temple) and return to Kuro. He gives you “Sweet Rice Ball”.
Step 7: Consume the “Sweet Rice Ball” that you got from Kuro (inventory item).
Step 8: Talk to Divine Child at Inner Sanctum again. She’ll ask “Did you give the rice to the Divine Heir?” and you’ll tell her of the Sweet Rice he made and that you ate it.
Step 9: Get key item “Holy Chapter: Infested” and give it to Divine Child. This item is found underwater in the pond by Temple Grounds idol (Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo). It’s the pond where two treasure carp are swimming. You must dive down to find this item at the bottom of the pond. You might already have it though. Earlier in the story before defeating Genichiro Ashina it could be obtained from a priest sitting by the Main Hall idol of Senpou Temple. So if it’s not in the pond you either have it in your inventory or gave it to the Divine Child already. If you gave it to her already you can skip this step.
Step 10: After giving “Holy Chapter: Infested” to Divine Child, fast travel back and forth until she’s gone from Inner Sanctum. You must now talk to her in the “Halls of Illusion”, the area where you fought the Folding Screen Monkeys main boss. You can enter the rift (blue beam) via the Inner Sanctum to be teleported back to this area. The Divine Child is sitting straight in front of where you spawn. Exhaust all dialogues with her. She’ll tell you of a “Reverence confined within a narrow cave”, which is a priest that died and holds a book we need to get, see next step.
Step 11: We must now find the key item “Holy Chapter Dragon’s Return”. Fast travel to Main Hall idol in Senpou Temple region. Exit the Hall through the left side and there will be a cave entrance. Follow the cave until you drop down the first time. Immediately turn around and crouch under a tight space. On the other end (near cave exit) you reach a dead monk who has the golden-glowing item pickup “Holy Chapter: Dragon’s Return”. Bring this book back to the Divine Child! She’ll then request you to find 2 “Serpent Persimmons” (actually called “Serpent Viscera” in item menu) which are our next two steps.
Step 12: Get “Fresh Serpent Viscera”. Head to the first idol in Senpou Temple that’s called “Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo”. From the idol, exit the room and drop down the right side cliffs. There you will see a mechanism for a kite and a small enemy next to it. Use Puppeteer Ninjutsu on this small guy and he will operate the kite for you. Follow the main path until you can grapple to the kite and it will transport you to a new area where you must drop and grapple tree branches as you’re falling. Then you find the “Sunken Valley Cavern” idol. After it you will come to a long wooden beam and the serpent below it. Jump down on the serpent’s head and perform a mid-air execution to kill it. Fresh Serpent Viscera is yours.
Step 13: Get “Dried Serpent Viscera”. For the dried one head to the idol before the Guardian Ape boss fight called “Bodhisattva Valley”. Instead of going in the direction of the Ape boss, turn around and go to the very bottom of the area where some green poison water is. You will reach a merchant and behind him a cave with the Giant Serpent in it. Follow the cave path until you can see the serpent’s head. Drop down on the left side and use Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the monkey and it will distract the snake for you. Now you can grapple to where the serpent’s head was and go through in the left room to pick up the “Dried Serpent Viscera”.
Step 14: Deliver the two Serpent Viscera to Divine Child at Inner Sanctum.
Step 15: Travel away and back to Inner Sanctum. The door will be closed. Eavesdrop on the door to hear the child eating the Viscera.
Step 16: Travel to Kuro’s Room. Exhaust all dialogues with Kuro. He wants you to use the incense burner in his room, then cuts himself with the mortal blade. Then he tells you of the Fountainhead Palace. His last dialogue is “I believe the path leading to the Fountainhead Palace will open before you if you enter the shrine within the cave”. You might already have exhausted his dialogues earlier, which is fine if you did, in that case skip to next step.
Step 17: Fast travel back to the Inner Sanctum. The door should now be unlocked (if not travel to Dilapidated Temple and rest at idol). Talk to the Divine Child once more and she gives you the key item “Frozen Tears”. That’s the stuff we need for this ending! Her questline is done now.
Step 18: Use the Frozen Tears on Kuro after defeating the final boss in the game. After defeating the boss it’s mandatory to talk to Kuro one last time (unmissable) and it lets you pick between different items. Each item that you can give to Kuro here triggers 1 of 3 different endings. For this one you must pick the dialogue option “Give Dragon Tears and Frozen Tears”. You should back up your save game after defeating the Sword Saint endboss (before giving Kuro the items) so you can reload it for the other endings.
Note: If a sequence with the Divine Child won’t trigger try to rest at an Idol, feeding Rice to Kuro and coming back, giving her Persimmon, or simply progressing the story a bit further. It’s also possible you have skipped one of the steps or haven’t done them in order thus voiding the progression of the quest, so make sure you got all the listed key items and gave them to her.
This unlocks the Dragon’s Homecoming trophy or achievement. This is basically the Sekiro Secret Ending as it has the most steps to it and is the trickiest to get.
That’s all the Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Endings and how to unlock them, enjoy!