Broken is the 8th chapter in Detroit Become Human. This walkthrough will guide you through all the choices of the Broken level for 100% completion.
Triggers automatically after completing Stormy Night Chapter.
Here’s a quick overview of the 100% complete flowchart for “Broken”.
Checkpoint: After Party
- Enter Living Room: Automatic Story-related task. Upon arriving at Carl’s house, wheel him to the big living room.
- Pour Whisky: Another mandatory task, Carl will say he is “old enough to choose his own medicine” and wants a Whisky which Markus must grab from the living room.
- Check Studio Without Carl: Now you have two choices. Markus and Carl notice the lights in the Studio are on and suspect a break-in, thus calling the police. Carl wants to check it out. Either check the studio without him or bring him with you. For this just leave him in the living room.
- Check Studio With Carl: This objective requires a second playthrough – wheel Carl to the Studio, bring him with you to investigate.
- Confront Leo: Of course it’s Carl’s son who broke in to steal some art and resell it for drug money. He is very aggressive and looking for a fight. No matter what you say to him he will always start pushing Markus.
- Break Mind Palace: This is another unmissable task. After Leo pushes Markus, he has to “break a mind palace”, just press the displayed buttons.
- Markus Becomes Deviant: Also an automatic objective, after Markus breaks free from the mind palace he becomes deviant. He no longer has to listen to what other people tell him and can make his own choices.
- Obey Carl: There are two paths here leading to different endings within the chapter (but not affecting actual game endings). The first is to obey Carl and let Leo attack you –> Carl dies from heart attack. Your choice affects what magazines will spawn in ‘Waiting for Hank…’. Regardless, you will need two playthroughs for all magazines anyway so it doesn’t matter what you pick. Either way the police arrive and shoot Markus and Carl also dies one way or the other.
- Carl Dies of a Heart Attack: Automatic on the ‘Obey Carl’ path.
- Police Arrive: Automatic on the ‘Obey Carl’ path.
- Leo Accused Markus: Automatic on the ‘Obey Carl’ path.
- Push Leo: This is the second ending of the chapter and requires a replay. Markus has to attack/push Leo –> Results in Leo hitting his head and being unconscious. It looks like he’s dead but he’s only hurt and can be seen briefly in a scene at the end of the game in ‘Night of the Soul’. This affects magazine collectibles in ‘Waiting for Hank…’ but for those you require 2 playthroughs anyway. Just like the first choice, police will come and shoot Markus. With this option though, you have a chance to see Carl again at the end of the game (*thanks to Riwus for pointing it out).
- Leo is Hurt: Automatic on the ‘Push Leo’ path.
- Police Arrive: Automatic on the ‘Push Leo’ path.
- Police Mistook Markus for the Aggressor: Automatic on the ‘Push Leo’ path.
All done! The outcome of this chapter is irrelevant for how the rest of the game plays out, doesn’t matter what path you choose here. This concludes the Broken chapter.
Up Next: The Interrogation
For more Walkthroughs, check out the complete Detroit Become Human Walkthrough.