In Hogwarts Legacy your gear inventory has a limited size. Each piece of gear you carry consumes one slot. There are no weight values assigned to items, they all consume one slot regardless of equipment type.
In order to increase the inventory size you must complete Merlin’s Trials. These are first unlocked after Main Quest #15: Trials of Merlin. You have to advance the story to this point first, it’s not possible to increase your inventory limit before this.
After doing Merlin’s Trials check under Challenges Menu > Exploration > Complete Merlin Trials and click X (PlayStation) / A (Xbox) / B (Switch) on the challenge icon to claim the reward, which then increases the inventory size. The more Merlin Trials you do, the more of the challenge tiers you will complete and the more your inventory size will increase.
You always have to claim the inventory increase from the challenge menu manually, it doesn’t unlock it automatically.
Inventory Size Tiers
Here’s an overview of how many Merlin Trials are needed for each Inventor Size increase:
- Tier 1: Solve 2 Merlin Trials (2 Total)
- Tier 2: Solve 6 additional Merlin Trials (8 total)
- Tier 3: Solve 10 additional Merlin Trials (18 total)
- Tier 4: Solve 14 additional Merlin Trials (32 total)
- Tier 5: Solve 20 additional Merlin Trials (52 total)
To reach the maximum inventory size you must do 52 of 95 available Merlin Trials. They get marked when you unfog the map and go near them for the first time. They stay marked afterward. The good thing is there are more Merlin Trials than needed, you can skip any 43 of them.
How to Solve Merlin Trials
There are several types of trials, each has a different puzzle type to solve. These puzzles are repeated through the trials.
- Pyre Puzzle: Cast Confringo at the pyres around the area. Can be highlighted with Revelio.
- Boulder Puzzle: Cast Wingardium Leviosa at the boulder near the Merlin Trial platform and drag it inside the hole that’s nearby. Can be highlighted with Revelio.
- Block Flipping Puzzle: Cast Flipendo at the blocks standing on the pillars, so that the drawings match. Can be highlighted with Revelio.
- Stones Puzzle: Cast Basic Cast at the standing spherical stones found around the area. They’re always together in a set of three. Can be highlighted with Revelio.
- Confringo Puzzle: Cast Confringo to destroy the pillars around the area. Can be highlighted with Revelio.
- Firefly Puzzle: Use your broom to scan the area for swarms of fireflies. Cast Lucio and get near them to attract them and bring them to the pillars. Can be highlighted with Revelio.
- Reparo Puzzle: Use Reparo to repair the pillars. This is the opposite of Confringo Puzzles.
That’s all there is to increasing your inventory limit in Harry Potter Hogwarts Legacy.
For more tips and secrets refer to Hogwarts Legacy 100% Completion Wiki & Strategy Guide.