The Chi of Yore is a world quest in Genshin Impact. This walkthrough will guide you through all objectives of The Chi of Yore Side Quest. In particular, the objectives “Search for fragments near the Geo Statues” and “Go to the highest point of Qingce Village to search for fragments” are quite tricky as they don’t come with waypoints on the in-game map, but this guide shows you the exact fragment locations with images.
The Chi of Yore is unlocked by talking to the quest giver Yan’er at any time (already possible during Act 1). The quest can also trigger by interacting with the quest objectives in the open world before finding the quest giver.
Region: Bishui Plain
Area: Wuwang Hill
Quest Giver: Yan’er
Requirement: Talk to Yan’er at any time (she’s already there during Act 1)
Recommended Level: 20
Reward: 500 Adventure XP, 60 Primogem, 1 Liyue Shrine of Depths Key
Mission Description: It seems Mt. Qingce is hiding some secrets.
- Investigate the ruin
- Ask the locals of Qingce Village about the fragments
- Ask Granny Ruoxin about the fragments
- Search for fragments near the Geo Statues
- Go to the highest point of Qingce Village to search for fragments
- Decipher the fragment
- Find a way into the vault
- Search the Vault
- Monsters Defeated (x5)
- Find the Treasure
- Head to Qingce Village and report to Granny Ruoxin
Starting Location: The Chi of Yore
Talk to Yan’er at the location shown on the map below (there’s also a fast travel point nearby). Unlike other quest givers, Yan’er doesn’t show a blue quest icon above her head. Just go through all her dialogues and the quest will start. You can do this at any time, even during Act 1.
Investigate the ruin (Fragment #1)
Go to the ruins directly north-east of the quest giver. Your goal here is to find and interact with 3 stone statues, then a chest spawns in the middle of the area that contains the 1st fragment. There’s also a big flying enemy called “Ruin Hunter” in the middle and a glowing beam on the floor “Incomplete Writing” but those are optional and you can skip straight ahead to finding the statues. They are all found around the outer edge of the search area, by some orange glowing crystals. Just look out for the orange crystals and you’ll get there easily. Below are the 3 statue locations:
Statue #1 Location: In the south of the search area.
Statue #2 Location: In the north-east of the search area, guarded by Level 18 Geo Slime.
Statue #3 Location: In the north-west of the search area, guarded by Level 18 Hilichurls.
Fragment #1: After activating all 3 statues, a chest will spawn in the middle of the search area. Open it to advance the quest. If you haven’t beaten the big Ruin Hunte enemy yet, now is the time to do so because he’ll be in your way otherwise. He’s easier to attack with ranged attacks. Having a Level 18+ ranged character is highly recommended. Opening the chest gives the next quest objective.
Ask the locals of Qingce Village about the fragments
Head to the south of the Qingce Village search area and talk to the old man “Pops Kai”. Pick his yellow dialogue “I have this fragment” and he will point you towards Granny Ruoxin (going directly to her won’t work, you have to talk to the villager first).
Ask Granny Ruoxin about the fragments
Go to the fast travel point in the east of the Qingce Village. There you will find Granny Ruoxin, she’s marked on the map. Talk to her and pick dialogue “I have this fragment”. She will give you clues for the next fragments.
Search for the fragments near the Geo Statues is one of the trickiest parts of the quest because it doesn’t show a waypoint on the in-game map. The location you need to go to is the fast travel point in the west of Qingce Village. Just south of the fast travel point is a hill with a shrine area on top. Interacting with the Incomplete Writing (glowing beam) reveals in which order you must activate the statues. See the exact map location and statue order circled red below:
Interacting with the 5 statues above reveals the chest with Fragment #2 in it.
The third fragment requires you to ‘go to the highest point of Qingce Village‘. The location is on top of the mountain east of Qingce Village. Make sure you have full stamina before starting to climb and don’t do quick jumps while climbing (just keep climbing slowly, it consumes less stamina and gets you further). At the very top you find 8 statues, 4 of which you must activate, and the remaining 4 you don’t touch. The exact map location and statue order is circled red below:
Interacting with the 4 statues will make a chest appear that contains Fragment #3.
Decipher the fragment
After you have all 3 fragments so far, return to Granny Ruoxin who you visited earlier in the quest. She’s marked on the map. Pick the yellow dialogue of hers and she’ll tell you of a waterfall which also gets marked as your next objective.
Find a way into the vault
The waterfall is marked on your map automatically with a search area. The entrance to the vault is to the right of the waterfall as shown below.
Search the Vault
Follow the path behind the waterfall until you come to a gate. Interact with the gate, insert the 3 fragments and choose “give”. This will open the gate.
In the next room you find some human enemies (defeat them) and an altar in the middle of the room that starts a battle challenge. Activate it!
Monsters Defeated (x5)
Now you must defeat 5 enemies that appear in 3 waves. It’s a tough fight. It’s highly recommended that everyone on your team is Level 20 or close to it. 1-2 characters should have freeze elemental abilities (e.g.Kaeya who you should have from the story by this point) and 1 ranged attacker that can use accurate zoomed shots to hit the eyes of the enemies (Amber with her charged burning arrows works well).
In addition to defeating the enemies, you cannot let them destroy the altar that started the challenge (also called Qingce Cache). The HP% will be shown on the left corner of the screen. If it drops to 0% the battle will end and you must repeat all waves from the start! Likewise, if your entire team dies you will be teleported out of the cave and must defeat all enemies again.
- Wave #1 = 1 x Ruin Guard (Level 18). Lure him to the water and use freeze elemental abilities to keep him frozen most of the time.
- Wave #2 = 3 x Ruin Guards (Level 18). Here you fight 3 Ruin Guards at the same time. Immediately run up to each of them and attack a few times to lure their attention away from the Qingce Cache. Then lure them all to the middle of the pool and use freeze elemental abilities to keep them frozen in place for most of the fight. Alternatively, Lisa’s Electro attacks also do good area damage because the sparks jump between all 3 enemies if they’re close together.
- Wave #3 = 1 x Ruin Hunter (Level 25). Now you only have a single opponent but a very strong one at that. He’s Level 25 and can instantly kill a Level 20 character with some moves. You’ll want to lure him to the edge of the pool far away from the Cache. Then keep him frozen there as much as you can! If he’s frozen he can’t attack and you can keep doing damage and he can’t hurt the Cache. If he floats in the air, shoot at his eye with a charged arrow from Amber – a single eyeshot will make him crash down. Then he’s stunned and just laying on the ground, freeze him again and repeat. If he shoots missiles at you from the air, circle around the arena and hide behind a wall where the homed missiles can’t hit you (they can do 3000+ damage in one hit and instantly kill a level 20 character). The bombs he throws on the floor will show a red circle before they land, so keep an eye on the floor and dodge out of there before they hit.
It’s a challenging fight but with some practice it gets easier each time. If your team isn’t strong enough, just come back later when you’ve leveled up.
Find the Treasure
After the monsters are defeated a room in the cave opens up. It contains a luxurious treasure chest. Open it to get the next objective, along with some 3-star & 4-star loot: Traveler’s Handy Sword, Hero’s Wit, Martial Artist’s Feather Accessory, Mystic Enhancement Ore.
Also open the other treasure chests in the room before leaving.
Head to Qingce Village and report to Granny Ruoxin
Fast travel back to Granny Ruoxin in Qingce Village. She will ask what you’ve found and you can tell her “Not a thing” or “We found a whole bunch of Treasure Hoarders outside”, but it doesn’t matter what you pick. As a reward you will get 500 Adventure XP, 60 Primogem, 1 Liyue Shrine of Depths Key.
This finishes The Chi of Yore side mission in Genshin Impact with all its Fragment Locations.