In Pokemon Scarlet and Violet you can trade Pokemon with other players. This guide explains how to do that and includes extra tips to quickly fill your Pokedex through trading.
Important: To trade online over the internet a Nintendo Switch Online Membership is required! This costs a subscription fee. A free 7-day trial is available under Nintendo eShop > in left sidebar select “Nintendo Switch Online” > click the free Trial banner at the top. In the same menu you can buy a long-term membership to use online features.
How to Trade Pokemon
- Press X to open the Menu
- Click “Poké Portal”
- If you want to trade over the Internet with faraway friends press L to connect to Internet, if you want to trade locally with a nearby friend stay Offline (your online status is shown in top right corner)
- Click “Link Trade”
- Click “Link Code”
- Decide on an 8-digit number code, make sure your friend enters the exact same number in this menu so that you can find each other
- Click “Begin Searching” – if you are online make sure your friend is also online, if you are offline make sure your friend is offline (shown in top right corner)
If you don’t find each other double-check that both players entered the same 8-digit number under “Link Code” and that both players have the same online or offline status as seen in the top right corner of the Poke Portal menu.
Good to Know
- In the Trading Screen some Pokemon may have a blue background in your Boxes and some don’t. The ones with a blue background indicate that the other player doesn’t have it in the Pokedex yet. So by trading Pokemon with a blue glowing background you can help each other complete the Pokedex faster.
- You can also use the “Surprise Trade” to be connected to random players through the internet and trade Pokemon there.
- A few Pokemon only evolve through trading, or while holding specific items while being traded. This means it’s mandatory to trade Pokemon in order to fully complete the Pokedex.
That’s all there is to know about Trading Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet.
For more guide like this check out our Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Strategy Guide.