Layers of Fear 2 has 43 Collectibles Locations – 15 Movie Posters, 11 Photo Slides, 6 Phonograph Interviews, 6 Spyglass Items, and 5 Mysterious Items. All collectibles are scattered across the five different Acts, with the exception of the Prologue and Epilogue. Finding all of them unlocks the trophies listed below.
All collectibles are highly missable! However, the game gives you a chance to revisit each Act separately after you’ve beaten the game for the first time. At this point, NG+ unlocks to which collectibles are always carried over.
All collectibles are extremely well hidden: Movie Posters usually require you to take certain detours. Photo Slides and Phonograph Interviews are usually sitting on stools, chairs, or shelves, drawers. The first ones for these latter strands are given to you automatically when you reach the cabin for the first time. Spyglass Items require you to use the spyglass in your cabin every time you go back to it between acts (this will allow you to pick up a new item from the ocean), except for one that requires you to stare halfway through the sea and the sky for 42 seconds. Mysterious Items require you to complete fairly easy puzzles. Mysterious Items #1, #3 and #5 can only be picked during NG+.
Collectibles do not save until you’ve crossed a new checkpoint (indicated by the clapperboard icon in the bottom left corner). If you get killed before a new checkpoint, make sure to pick them up again. It should be noted that the trophy trackers for the collectibles are updated only when you’re back at the cabin. This is the reason why it’s essential to finish the Act you’re playing through. Quitting the game and starting a new NG+ (which automatically respawns you at the cabin) won’t save your collectibles. While you don’t need to interact with the movie posters gallery, you need to play each phonograph interview and view each photo slide you find.
After you’ve played through the story for the first time, NG+ unlocks. You can use the NG+ feature to replay Acts back-to-back and finish collecting what you have left, including the remaining Mysterious Items. Each time you want to play a different Act, you’ll have to finish it and return to your cabin for the collectible-related trophies to update their tracker (unless you do them in chronological order).
Below you can find the location of all collectibles, Act by Act, listed according to the way you’re supposed to progress through each Act.
Trophies unlocked from collectibles:
- Debut (Movie Posters)
- Body of Work (Movie Posters)
- A Slice of Life (Photo Slides)
- A Mosaic of Misery (Photo Slides)
- Full Scoop (Phonograph Interviews)
- Fisherman (Spyglass Items)
- Fisher King (Spyglass Items)
- We Are Not Alone (Mysterious Items)
Act 1 – Unmooring
- Photo Slide #2: early into Act 1 you’ll walk along a corridor with a door on your left creaking open. Opposite it is a room you can enter. Inside one of the drawers is a photo slide.
- Movie Poster #1 (Remember Her): after positioning the overhead chair onto the stage, crouch through the opening to get to a second stage. Walk up the small set of stairs. The poster is on your left.
- Phonograph Interview #2: at some point during Act 1 you’ll enter a room at whose threshold is a big white X mark. Inside the desk locker you can find the Phonograph Interview.
- Movie Poster #2 (Double Shadows): inside the office, above a couch, after getting past the first two spotlights.
- Photo Slide #3: inside a drawer, in a room with a blue board, some microphones, and suitcases.
- Movie Poster #3 (Twelfth Night): after crouching down a stage, on your left, next to a door.
- Spyglass Item #1 (Model Boat)
Act 2 – The Hunt
- Photo Slide #4: at some point, early in Act 2, you’ll have to shut off some steam coming out of a pipe by turning a valve. After doing so, crouch under the pipe on your right. The collectible is at the end of the walkway.
- Mysterious Item #1 (only obtainable during NG+): after locking yourself in one of the steam rooms to avoid being caught by the monster, wait for the monster to leave and then exit back out. While you’re supposed to go into the room on the right with the projector, make a brief detour first to collect the first Mysterious Item. From the steam room, go straight ahead as shown in the picture below. In the new area press the button and quickly run and crouch under the pipes to get past the finish line before the time is up. You’ll find the collectible on a table.
- Movie Poster #4 (Hamlet): at some point during Act 2 you’ll come across a tin mannequin lying on a bed with a TV set next to him. Shortly after you’ll find yourself in a spotlight-lit corridor. One of the rooms has a combination lock. To find the combination, enter the room that is basically opposite the locked room and interact with the chalkboard a total of three times to reveal the correct code. Insert the code and shut off the steam coming out from the pipe to reveal a walkway. Walk until you can see the poster hanging from a wall.
- Mysterious Item #2: when you go through the first ventilation shaft, head left. There are some bunk beds in the room. On one of them is a text page. This is the Mysterious Item.
- Phonograph Interview #3: at some point during Act 2 you’ll enter a farm-looking area. Shortly after going past the arm sticking out of the cell, you’ll have to open a cell yourself. Open its door and then close it behind you to be able to open the door to a cell on the right with a chest inside. Open the chest to reveal the collectible.
- Photo Slide #5: when reaching the room with the projector showing a baby, move the slider to the way to the right until you can see the photo slide on the bottom right corner by the screen. Just don’t move the slider all the way to the right otherwise the Formless man will instantly kill you. (Kudos to Kymar17 for its location).
- Movie Poster #5 (The Night Fiend): at some point during Act 2 you’ll see the shadow of a kid reflected on the wall. Walk towards the kid and interact with the door on the left. In the new area interact with the door on the farthest left of the room. Here is the poster hanging on the wall.
- Movie Poster #6 (Mechanopolis): to get across the junkyard area with intermittent fire, you need to enter a building. As soon as you enter a building, enter the room on your right. The movie poster is hanging on the wall.
- Spyglass Item #2 (Cage with Clocks)
Act 3 – Bloody Roots
- Movie Poster #7 (The Pirate Prince and the Cyclops King): on the ground floor of the house, in one of the rooms you can open without a key. It appears to be spawning only after the bedroom sequence.
- Photo Slide #6: when you get the keys to the bedroom, inside one of the nightstand’s drawers.
- Movie Poster #8 (A Wondrous Voyage): in the basement, after collecting the mannequins’ heads and hiding inside the chest, open the chest twice to reveal the poster.
- Photo Slide #7: inside the writing desk’s drawer in the office.
- Mysterious Item #3 (only obtainable during NG+): solve the puzzle in the tree trunk shortly after you reach the garden area. The collectible will then spawn on some kid’s lap on a bench.
- Phonograph Interview #4: in the room with the dead guy on a wheelchair, inside one of the drawers of the writing desk.
- Movie Poster #9 (The Tempest): immediately after the previous collectible, by the ventilation shaft.
- Spyglass Item #3 (Pirate Flag)
Act 4 – Breathe
- Movie Poster #10 (The Trial of a Martyr): in the kitchen area, accessible through an “invisible” wall. To get access to the area where the poster is you need to move by one of the supports in order to make the doorway appear.
- Phonograph Interview #5: after meeting with the kid on top of the stairs, you’ll come across a small area with a wooden workbench with a hammer on top. Open the drawer to reveal the Phonograph Interview.
- Photo Slide #8: after falling through the stairs, you’ll eventually end up in a red hall with a big plant. On the left side of the room is a piano. On top of the piano is the collectible.
- Photo Slide #9: after being chased by the monster shortly after the previous collectible, retrace your steps and go back down the stairs. Close the coffin for Closed Casket and next to it is a stool with the collectible on top.
- Movie Poster #11 (Shizo): when you walk down the stairs through the white, bloody corridors, on a wall next to some grey drapes.
- Movie Poster #12 (King Lear): after looking at a creepy drawing with a black dribble on it, next to a tin mannequin behind two curtains.
- Mysterious Item #4: use the random combination from left to right given to you by the playing cards on the floor to unlock the chest.
- Mysterious Item #5 (only obtainable during NG+): after collecting the film reel from inside the captain’s quarters, you’ll spawn in a new area, surrounded by rats gathered around a structure. The kid is also leaning against this structure. In the back left corner of the structure there’s a keyhole you can look into. When you look into the keyhole you’ll be teleported to a library area with a huge rat statue in the middle. Scattered across this area are three small rat statues you can rotate. The area is very small and you can’t leave it anyway until you’ve found them all. Point the light beam from all of the three small statues at the big statue to reveal the collectible.
- Spyglass Item #4 (Red Shoe)
Act 5 – Forever
- Movie Poster #13 (blue and white mannequin on a black background): when you’re supposed to call the elevator, look to the right to find the movie poster. Get it as you wait for the elevator.
- Photo Slide #10: after using the projector, keep going until you see some bars. On the left, sitting on a mantelpiece, below a painting is the collectible.
- Movie Poster #14 (black shadow on a blue and black background): when you get to the area where you hear gunshots, turn the handle to open the door on your right. The movie poster is hanging on the wall.
- Photo Slide #11: before entering the area with the floating lemons, look to your left. Open the door to enter a corridor. Look among the bottom left shelves to find the collectible well hidden in an open crate.
- Movie Poster #15 (blue and black stains): when you get to the area with the floating lemons, on a wall in the room on the left hand side.
- Phonograph Interview #6: when you get to the ship area, go up the stairs and make a sharp right. You’ll find the collectible sitting on a stool.
- Spyglass Item #5 (Van Gogh’s Portrait)
NG+ (or at any point after finding any mysterious item)
- Spyglass Item #6 (Conch): to obtain this last Spyglass Item, start a NG+ and head directly to the spyglass. Now, in order to be able to collect this item, you need to have collected one of the two Mysterious Items from Act 2 (specifically, the note). On the top right-hand corner you’ll see a drawing of the spyglass with 42S on top. This is 42 seconds, the amount of time you have to hold R2 halfway through the sky and the water, just like the drawing shows. After that, the collectible will rise from the water. This item will also be needed for You Can’t Handle the Truth.
These are all the Collectibles in Layers of Fear 2.