In Assassin’s Creed Origins you can find Papyrus Puzzles during quests and at open world locations marked by a question mark on the map. This guide shows all the Papyrus Puzzle Locations and their solutions in ACO.
After finding a papyrus puzzle you can check it out in the inventory. You are given a cryptic riddle (can be seen while scrolling over the hieroglyph in the inventory). It will show some text that hints at a possible location in the open world. There are no waypoint markers so you must figure out the solution by yourself. This guide, of course, shows screenshots of all papyrus locations and the solution for the hieroglyph riddle.
Here’s an example: Usually they are things like “look west to the pyramids, between the dunes lies a temple guarded by stone lionesses”. For this you would have to climb up somewhere high and look for the pyramids to the west of where you found the papyrus. Then look for a temple or any structure and mark the rough location on the map. As you approach you will see that it has two stone statues of lionesses at the entrance, so you know you’re in the right place. You must loot the hidden treasure box in that location to solve the papyrus puzzle. These give lots of XP and always contain rare or legendary gear. The loot scales to your level. You also receive a lot of money from this.
The guide is structured by map areas, in chronological story order (in ascending levels). For each papyrus puzzle the first screenshot is of the location where you find it and the second screenshot is of the location where you must go to solve it.
Papyrus Puzzles Video Guide
- Lake Mareotis
- Kanopos Nome
- Sapi-Res Nome
- Faiyum Oasis
- Haueris Nome
- Herakleion Nome
- Green Mountains
- Papyrus Puzzle: In Siwa, come find me at the bottom of the only bowl big enough for a god.
- Location: Siwa, House of Life.
- Solution: Roughly 200 meters away is a “bowl” on the map, near the lake. It’s a bit north-east of the House of Life. Dive in to open the lootbox.
- Papyrus Puzzle: A few hundred meters nort west of the Temple of Sekhmet in Yamu, which resides by Lake Mareotis, there is a great place to go for a date. Full of palm trees and surrounded by desert, one rock fence was built and closed off with no exit. Find me there.
- Location: Lake Mareotis, Hypostyle Hall.
- Solution: To the north-west of where you find the papyrus, there’s a farm. You can see a structure on the map. There you find the the reward in the crops.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In the south section of Mareotis Lake there is an island full of ruins. A man stares at me all day, it’s quite a bother, so I’m hiding behind a column that blocks the sight.
- Location: Alexandria, Sarapeion.
- Solution: Go to the southern viewpoint of Lake Mareotis (the island). Behind a stone pillar in the south of the island you find the loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In the corner of Sep-Meh Nome you can find me hidden in a canyon near Anthylla. I’m under a tree that thinks it’s unique, but only because the nearby rock bridge is blocking it from seeing the others of its breed.
- Location: Alexandria, Great Library.
- Solution: By the crocodile lair in the small river of Sep-Meh Nome you can find a tree on a hill. Behind the tree is the reward.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In the Qattara Depression there is only one place that isn’t dry and sad. Al dawn’s first light, there is one tree near the valley’s entrance whose roots are halfway between Ra’s glory and Apohi’s shadow. Find me there but make haste, for Ra moves quickly.
- Location: Alexandria, Tomb of Alexander the Great.
- Solution: Travel to the Qattara Depressions territory in the middle of the map. On the left side of the territory you can see a question mark by an oasis. Look behind the first leaf tree on the path leading to the oasis.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In the east section of the Kanopos Nome is a ravaged land, where many trees fell and lost their home. I’m by the orphan tree whose parents fell down nearby, pointing towards their lonely daughter.
- Location: Alexandria, Great Synagogue.
- Solution: In the territory Kanopos Nome, look behind the dying palm tree (see location in second screenshot). It’s the only tree left standing.
- Papyrus Puzzle: Alexandria is large and noisy, but one part is quiet, lonely, and surrounded by water. The fallen palm tree points to where I lay, where land meets water.
- Location: Alexandria, Iseion.
- Solution: To the east of the papyrus locations there’s a sea with an island in the middle. On that island, in the sand by the beach is the loot reward.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In Sapi-Res Nome, north of Letopolis Temple, you can find me in the farmland. I lay where man’s creation brings the Nite’s water to desert sand.
- Location: Kanopos Nome, Zephyros Stables.
- Solution: Outside the town of Letopolis there are some aqueducts supplying water to the fields. The norther-most aqueduct is dried up. In that aqueduct lies the papyrus loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In South East of Iment Nome lies a broken ship. Pass time till morning, an X will mark my hiding spot.
- Location: Sapi-Res Nome, Temple of Horus.
- Solution: Go to the only fast travel point in the Iment Nome desert. Now with the skill “Dawn & Dusk” skip time till morning (hold Touchpad on PS4). The viewpoint will cast a shadow that looks like an “X”. This marks the spot of the treasure (in the sand).
- Papyrus Puzzle: If your feet are firm in Letopolis, look west to the pyramids. Within the golden dunes lies the Temple of a Million Years, guarded by stone lionesses.
- Location: Automatically obtained in side quest “New Kid in Town”.
- Solution: In the town of Letopolis, climb up the viewpoint and look for the pyramids to the west. In the desert between Letopolis and the Pyramids is a temple. Enter the temple through the crack in the wall and interact with all objects.
- Papyrus Puzzle: On an island south east of Krokodopolis there is a river with unnatural color. Nearby you’ll see the cause, and I’ll be inside the only one that’s unique.
- Location: Memphis, Palace of Apries.
- Solution: Go to the location shown on the second screenshot (side quest The Jaws of Sobek is here). There are some pools of water. In the grey water is the loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: If you head to the other side of the Nile in Ineb-Hedjet Nome, you can find a peak with a great view of the Nile. Take a look around, then come find me, hiding under the only tree nearby.
- Location: Memphis, Wabet.
- Solution: Go to the location of the second screenshot (end of map). There is only one tree here. Under the tree is the loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: Two men stand guard on the Memphis eastern canal. The south one looks solomnly at his sunken friend. If you follow his gaze, you can find him and me on the river floor.
- Location: Memphis, Temple of Ptah.
- Solution: There are two massive stone statues looking over the harbor entrance of Memphis. They are looking towards a shipwreck in the water. You can still see the sunken ship’s mast sticking out the water. Dive down an investigate the boxes near the shipwreck on the river floor (second screenshot has the exact location).
- Papyrus Puzzle: In Giza, three pyramids stand tall. From the top of the smaller one you can see quite a lot, even two mushroom rocks, the smaller of which I lay atop of.
- Location: Giza, Eastern Cemetary Mastaba.
- Solution: Climb on top the smallest pyramid and look for two tall rocks that are shaped like mushrooms. On the right mushroom rock is the loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In Faiyum, north of Dionysias Caravanserai there is a tower with a hole by the feet. It’s in need of support, so I sit behind it, but the wooden beams seem more helpful.
- Location: Faiyum, Sarapeion of Karanis
- Solution: Go to the location marked in the second screenshot. There is a leaning tower supported only by wooden beams. It’s the only building around so you’ll easily see it. Behind the building is the loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: There is a place of remembrance for the unfortunate masses in north west Haueris Nome. While I rest here, immobile, I cannot escape Ra’s grace, but at least every dawn I avoid him longer than the others.
- Location: Faiyum, Valley Market.
- Solution: Travel to the middle of Haueris Nome territory. There are lots of triangle-shaped stone houses. In front of one of the houses is the loot. It’s the one single house up the hill, with no other houses near it (there’s a cave entrance just a few meters left from it).
- Papyrus Puzzle: In Atef-Pehu Nome there is a law that states that you can only make pottery on the east side of the road. I’m hidden atop the one illegal clay smoker in the region.
- Location: Faiyum, House of Iwn.
- Solution: Travel to Atef-Pehu Nome. There is only one big road going from south to north. On the left side of the road (see second screenshot) there is a smoking chimney. You can climb up there to pick up the loot from the chimney.
- Papyrus Puzzle: East of Krokodopolis, south of the shattered pyramid, a large beast of a god stares angrily at a pharaoh who shows him no respect. I’m hidden behind the blasphemer’s head.
- Location: Faiyum Oasis, Temple of Sobek.
- Solution: Go to the viewpoint on the pyramid in the south of Hauernis Nome. From there head south to the river. There’s a broken-off head of a statue. Behind it is the loot (second screenshot).
- Papyrus Puzzle: Southeast of the city Hermopolis is a leopard’s den in Uab Nome. At the top of their territory lies a place where birds should live, but do not. If you take a leap of faith, you can find me.
- Location: Haueris Nome, Temple of Thoth (enter through tunnel from east)
- Solution: Go to the location marked in the second screenshot. Up the mountain, in the ruins, are some predators. There’s a tree branch you can climb on and do a leap of faith down the hill (through a small opening in the hill). No worries, you will land safely in a haystack and survive. After leaving the haystack, the loot will be in front of you on the floor.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In Herakleion Nome, East of the temple of Khonsou, is a village that is more water than land. Behind two houses with different problems, one whose feet are always wet, and the other who can’t cover his head, you can find me sitting under a tree.
- Location: Herakleion Nome, Temple of Khonsou
- Solution: Go to the location marked in the second screenshot (swamps). There are two houses in this spot. One is half-sunken in the water, the other is missing its roof. Behind the houses is a tree. Under the tree is the treasure.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In south eastern Herakleion Nome you can find me beneath the tree who fancies himself king.
- Location: Herakleion Nome, Gatenos House
- Solution: The tree in question is the biggest, oldest tree in the area. See the second screenshot for the location. Behind the tree you can pick up the loot to solve the riddle.
- Papyrus Puzzle: At the bottom border of Paraitonian is a village of ghosts. I’m in the house of the blasphemous man, who built his house furthest from Ra, the sun god’s, dawning grace.
- Location: Green Mountains, Asklepieion
- Solution: There are some ruins in the mountains of territory “Paraitonian”, at the border to Qattara Depression. Up in the ruins is the loot for solving the puzzle.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In the green mountains where they’re building a great aqueduct, go find its source high up in the mountains. Inside, you can find me sitting at the bottom of the lowest pool, tucked away beside two large jars.
- Location: Green Mountains, Oracle of Apollo
- Solution: Head to the location marked on the second screenshot. You can climb up the mountain to a mine entrance / cave. The cave is flooded but you can dive to find the loot. It’s underwater by some kegs. Luckily, it’s a small cave and doesn’t have too much ground to cover.
- Papyrus Puzzle: South of Cyrene, in the Green Mountains, there is a lake whose water comes from a magical stream. I’ll be at the source of that magic, where water flows from nothing.
- Location: Kyrenaika, Tomb of Battos.
- Solution: Follow the little waterfall near the viewpoint in Green Mountains territory. At the top of the waterfall is the loot.
- Papyrus Puzzle: In the southwest section of the green mountains lives a monstrous beast with sharp tusks and tough grey skin. In his deadly arena you can find me, between the edge of the arena and where the beast sates his thirst.
- Location: Kyrenaika, Apollonion of Cyrene.
- Solution: In the elephant fighting pit (Green Mountains), check the area between the big pool of water and the outer fence. Don’t let the elephant kill you.
- Papyrus Puzzle: North of Apollonia, I’m next to a life saver. It guides in darkness and fog, and I sit beside it under something that did not heed its warning.
- Location: Kyrenaika, Temple of Zeus.
- Solution: Go to the northern-most viewpoint of Kyrenaika. It’s on a small island. Check the shore for the loot of the final puzzle!
Those are all the puzzle solutions & locations in the game!