There are 95 Hints in The Last Guardian. Finding All Hint Locations unlocks the “All Talked Out” Trophy.
You get audio hints from the narrator when you are stuck in an area for a long time (5-10 minutes). Sometimes the narrator also gives a comment during cutscenes.
All of the hints are missable! There is no chapter select and if you miss one you must do a new playthrough. If you die all hints since the last checkpoint must be listened to again. Your progress carries over into New Game+ and all subsequent playthroughs (meaning you can do this over the course of multiple playthroughs).
You can sit down and meditate by pressing L3/R3. Some hints seem to pop up quicker when you meditate. Doing this also repeats the last hint automatically. Don’t get confused, the hint that pops up after 5-10 seconds is always the one you have previously heard. You can sit for a few minutes and another hint should pop up if one is available. A lot of areas have 2 or more hints. Just stick around for a while. It takes around 5 minutes for the first hint to pop up and another 5 minutes for the next hint.
Furthermore, the narrator also gives comments when unlocking a trophy. These trophy comments are NOT required for All Talked Out.
All Hint Locations
This guide is now 100% complete and will earn you the All Talked Out trophy!
- Be among the chosen ones… In my dream, I was flying. Flying through the darkness… [During first cutscene]
- I awoke to find myself in a strange cave [During first cutscene]
- I noticed with a start that I was not alone. Beside me lay a great man-eating beast– Trico. [During first cutscene]
- I did not know how, why or when it had happened– but my skin was covered with peculiar markings. [During first cutscene]
- I thought that I was still dreaming… I believed that I would soon wake…
- The beast was far from happy. It seemed greatly pained by the spears that pierced its flesh.
- I decided to help it. To try to pull the spears from its flesh…
- In its pain, the poor beast was wary. I felt that my best option would be to withdraw and reconsider.
- The beast was highly agitated. It seemed unwise to approach. I decided it best to withdraw and consider my options.
- I wondered if the beast might be hungering for something…
- I was more than a little surprised. I had not imagined for a moment that the beast could possibly wolf the barrel down whole. [Credit to Nitsan – After boy says “Are you hungry?” wait a little while and leave a barrel where Trico can’t reach it to trigger this hint]
- I suspected that the great beast had not eaten in some time. [Credit to Nitsan – Wait after last hint until it pops up]
- It was staring longingly at a nearby barrel… [Credit to Nitsan – Wait after last hint until it pops up]
- The beast seemed reluctant to eat with me so close by…
- I decided to withdraw to a safe distance so that it might enjoy its meal in peace. [Credit to Nitsan – Wait after last hint until it pops up]
- The beast seemed more than a little wary of me. I decided it best to withdraw and consider my options [Approach Trico when there’s a barrel in front of him].
- It was wary and would not allow me to approach the spear.
- Thinking it unwise to upset the beast any further, I decided to withdraw.
- I wondered if its hunger might not yet have been satisfied.
- I decided to go in search for more barrels.
- My offerings appeared to have sated the beast’s appetite– but it was still in pain, and could not stand.
- The spear in its right shoulder prevented it from standing.
- I did my best to remove the spear. [Credit to Nitsan]
- The beast seemed greatly improved. But it was still unable to move freely– the enormous collar about its neck saw to that.
- I resolved to free the beast. [Credit to badmoses]
- Having thoroughly explored the area– I clambered onto the beasts neck– and made my way toward the source of the white smoke. [Credit to Brezerkfury – just before crawling through the hole with a barrel in front of it]
- This mirror, with its mysterious light… It was made from a substance I had never seen before. It seemed important. I decided to… borrow it for a while.
Back in Starting Area:
- The beast at my side, I raised the mirror.
- The lightning that flew from the beast’s tail took me greatly by surprise. Could it really have been summoned by the mirror?
- Though assailed by doubts– I thought that if I could harness the destructive power of the beast’s lightning– Perhaps we might find a way out. It seemed foolish not to try. [Credit to Samwinchesterxx – after using the mirror]
Tunnel after destroying the Blockade:
- I had heard of these great man-eating beasts many times from the elders. Yet in spite of the terrifying tales, I felt no fear. None at all…
In the Flooded Cave:
- My friend seemed reluctant to swim. I wondered if I might tempt the beast with one or two of its beloved barrels… [Credit to Chaos-Angel_]
After escaping the flooded Cave (outside):
- We had escaped the dank confines of the cave– and emerged into a place the like of which I had never seen.
- I would not realise until much later– but I was now in the heart of the beast’s lair. “The Nest”.
- It seemed that the door on the far side might be broken– with the aid of my companion’s lightning. [Credit to Chaos-Angel_]
First Antenna Room:
- The beast was scared of something…
- The glowing mirror, mine when last I looked, was nowhere to be found.
- I decided to thoroughly explore the area around the unmoving beast. [Credit to Cubia59]
- Something in the armour’s ill-omened air told me to keep my distance…
- Trico seemed greatly unsettled after the battle with the suits of armour. I had to find a way to calm my companion’s nerves.
Area with green smoke keg:
- A mysterious aroma hung in the air…
- It was trying desperately to squeeze itself through the hole and reach the pot. [Credit to Brezerkfury]
- The beast was enchanted by the scent of the pot, and would not move. There was nothing else for it. I would have to try and dispel the heady scent. [Credit to Brezerkfury]
Second enemy encounter:
- Desperate to calm the beast, I stroked and petted him feverishly. Thinking back, it seems almost that stroking in different places elicited different responses…
Room where you learn how to give Trico commands (after his tail gets stuck under a gate):
- The beast could not find a way forward. But we had come so far together. And in doing so, we had developed a bond. A mutual understanding that offered us a chance to escape…
- The beast had grown accustomed to my company. So accustomed, in fact, that it began to mimic my movements. I ran, jumped, capered, and cavorted. And in so doing, I learned something of what the beast might be encouraged to do.
Room where you have to use Keg with blue liquid as counterweight:
- I searched carefully, convinced that there was something nearby. [Credit to badmoses – before getting blue keg]
- I searched carefully, hoping to find a way into another room. [Credit to badmoses – before getting blue keg]
- It seemed that my companion was very fond indeed of these pots. [Credit to Chaos-Angel_]
- I wonder if I might be able to use the pot with which the beast was so enarmored… [Credit to Chaos-Angel_]
- The hanging chain appeared to be connected to the door in some way… [Credit to Brezerkfury]
Two mirrors blocking Trico’s path (after using a keg as counterweight to lift a gate):
- It was a striking design, akin to an eye in shape… The beast seemed transfixed by it.
Room with glass eye and two enemies (after bridge collapses):
- I examined the chain with great interest. It seemed… different to the ones I had encountered before.
- Fearful of the symbol in the glass, the beast refused to take another step…
Outside area with big Glass Eye:
- The beast appeared to want to show me the way ahead. And so I clambered onto its back… [Credit to Cubia59 & alfredmoody]
Trico lays down and gets sick (Mine section where you have to get him a Barrel):
- The beast seemed suddenly ill at ease. I was worried… Until I realised that it was merely hungry.
After Trico helps you get off the tree branch (back in the area where you used a keg as counterweight on a gate):
- I recognised this place… We had fallen through the ceiling and landed back here.
- The beast sat down once more. I decided to go in search for more barrels…
Rooftop (after feeding barrel to Trico he jumps up there automatically. Get off his back before moving on):
- Having found myself at what seemed to be a dead end, I searched for a way onward. [Credit to VasilisR_T]
- I wondered if there might be somewhere I could jump to on the beast’s back. [Credit to VasilisR_T]
Room with green smoke Keg:
- The entire area was alive with the strange aroma that so captivated my companion…Distracted by the scent of the pot as it was, the beast would not heed my call. [Credit to Brezerkfury – before jumping down into the smoky room]
- There was nothing else for it. I would have to try and jump onto Trico’s back. [Credit to GA7KTX92EV]
- I fell through the air, convinced for that brief moment that this was the end of me– and then the comforting softness of the beast’s back came up to greet me.
Flooded basement after falling through floor (right after green smoke Keg):
- I would not be able to leave this place unaided.
- I clung on tightly and together we made our escape.
When Trico lays down and gets sick (after two enemies attack Trico):
- There was nothing else for it. I would have to go in search of more barrels… [Credit to Cubia59 & alfredmoody & Brezerkfury]
Stone Bridge (the one that breaks apart):
- I knew what I had to do… I left the beast behind and ran.
- The cogwheel on the wall seemed to be connected somehow to the gate… [Credit to Shirongreedo]
Water rooms – before jumping into the first pool:
- The beast appeared not to want to enter the water. I resolved to lead by example… (Credit to Cubia59 & alfredmoody & Brezerkfury– stay on Trico’s neck and DO NOT jump down into the water yet. Command Trico to jump down.]
Cutscene after second water room (automatic, unmissable):
- I could hold my breath no longer. My companion disappeared from sight…
After waking up from the second water room dive:
- Higher and Higher I climbed in hopes of finding my companion. [Credit to Quapmocka]
Nest of second Trico:
- It was the same beast… The same one that had sent us back to the bottom of the valley…
- Desperately, I searched for a means of escape…
Cutscene after entering cage (automatic, unmissable):
- I waited for what seemed an eternity…
While rolling in the cage:
- By having the beast push the cage, I was able to overcome obstacles.
After exiting cage:
- The helmet… Perhaps attaching to a suit of armour would reveal a way onward…
- There was nothing else for it. I would have to go in search for more barrels…
Second antenna room:
- This was the valley known in the ancient tales as “the Nest”… And if the tales were to be believed… the only way in or out was from the air…
- Though the way was narrow, Trico seemed able ot squeeze through. [Credit to badmoses]
Cutscene after escaping enemy army and flying to tower (automatic, unmissable):
- Trico had flown. Not far, perhaps, but far enough to be certain. Perhaps when his wings were fully healed… we might be able to fly further…
Fight against second Trico on bridge:
- Throwing caution to the wind… I gave the masked beast’s tail an almighty tug…
- I had to help my companion. I had to jump. [Credit to Cubia59 & alfredmoody & Brezerkfury – on the bridge after Trico falls down to the bottom part. Do not jump down to the very bottom yet. If you get dragged down with Trico restart the checkpoint immediately]
Cutscene after fight against second Trico (automatic, unmissable):
- Exhausted, I fell into a deep slumber…
Third (last) Antenna Room
- I wondered if there might be a way to destroy the device that troubled the beast so… [Credit to Brezerkfury]
- My companion struggled valiantly to resist. [Credit to Brezerkfury]
On final tower after big enemy encounter:
- At last, having scoured the outside of the tower, I found a way inside.
- The plinth seemed almost as if it were made to house the mirror.
- The ceiling prevented us from continuing our ascent.
- Clambering over Trico’s tail, I made my way to the level below… [Credit to Chaos-Angel_]
After big enemy encounter inside the tower when Trico jumps up the tower (before you find the master of the valley):
- All that we found was a hole so small that only I could squeeze through.
Master of the Valley:
- I know now… that this was the master of the valley.
- It seemed that the light of the mirror suppressed the great darkness somewhat. [Credit to Chaos-Angel_ – Do not use mirror until hint comes up]
On top of the tower before shutting off spinning blades:
- Resolved to face whatever may come, I brought the spinning blades to a halt.
After Fight against hostile Beasts:
- Unbelievably, the tail retained its power even when severed. [Credit to Brezerkfury – point mirror at the green pole before dropping the tail down to the master]
- There was nothing else I could do. I had to send the beast away. Reluctantly, I said the words… [do not skip the cutscene and when villagers attack Trico don’t do anything]
Special Thanks / Credits
VasilisR_T = Submitting several hint locations
badmoses = Several hints & Suggesting to sit down with L3/R3
Brezerkfury = 8 Hints & several screenshots
Chaos-Angel_ = 6 Hints, and sending in screenshots to confirm several other hints
Nitsan = 5 Hints
GA7KTX92EV = 1 Hint
Quapmocka = 1 Hint
Shirongreedo = 1 Hint
Samwinchesterxx = Compiled a list of hints in starting area
Cubia59 = Provided a list of hints in French and translated it into English
nitsanniz = For pointing out that I had listed two separate hints as a single one
alfredmoody = Provided a list of missing hints, based on Japanese hint list