This Breeding Guide explains how to breed and hatch eggs in Pokemon in Scarlet & Violet. The breeding functionality has changed significantly from previous games. You no longer put Pokemon in daycare like it used to be in old games. Instead, you must start a Picnic and let your Pokemon play until they make an egg. Then you walk/ride around with the egg in your party until it hatches.
Step 1: Preparing to Breed
- In order to breed your Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet you will first need to be able to set up camp. You get the Picnic Set early on in the game at the Uva Academy the first time you go there.
- Once you have the Picnic Set you will need to add the Pokemon you want to breed into your Party Pokemon. The Pokemon will need to belong to the same Egg Group or alternatively you can bring the Pokemon you want to breed along with a Ditto which can be found just outside of Medali disguising itself as other Pokemon such as Persian.
- Sandwiches and meals are used for a number of purposes, you can make meals and sandwiches that increase Egg Power. This will increase the chance and rate of receiving an egg.
- If you are using a Meal instead of a sandwich you will need to eat the meal at any restaurant and the effects will last about an hour.
Once you have everything you need, you can move on to the next step.
Step 2: Breeding your Pokemon and Getting Eggs
- (Optional) Go to a restaurant and eat a meal that gives you Egg Power. This improves the chance and rate of getting eggs.
- Head to a flat surface outside of a town where there is room for your pokemon to run around and open the menu for ‘Picnic’.
- Once inside the picnic area if you haven’t eaten a meal you may choose to make a sandwich instead.
- Make the sandwich with Egg Power to increase your chances of finding an Egg or maybe one that has Sparkling Power if you are trying to hatch a shiny pokemon.
- Once you are ready press ZR to throw out the ball and let your Pokemon play. Once they are playing just pass some time by waiting around or playing with your Pokemon in the campsite. Check the basket on the ground at the end of the picnic table from time to time until you receive an egg.
- Once you have found an egg the game will ask if you want to keep it and when you select ‘Yes’ the eggs will automatically go to your Boxes. Add them to your party once you have enough eggs.
- Once in your party simply ride around on your mount until you get a notification that the eggs are hatching. You can speed up the process by adding a pokemon to your party with the eggs that has Flame Body or Magma Armor abilities.
That’s all there is to breeding in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
For everything else needed to obtain 100% game completion refer to Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Strategy Guide.