In Death Stranding you can unlock Fast Travel to instantly teleport from one facility to another. This quick guide explains how to fast travel:
- At the Start of Episode 3 you will reach Lake Knot City.
- Enter your Private Room there (this is actually a mandatory story step and unmissable).
- The courier girl called “Fragile” will be in your room.
- She gives you an umbrella that hangs on the wall in ALL of your private quarters everywhere in the game (all safe houses / Knots / Distribution Centers).
- Interact with the Umbrella to initiate Fast Travel.
The only way to fast travel is to go to a facility / safe house with a private room. You can’t fast travel from anywhere, only from facility to facility (from private room to another private room). You can also jump between the different maps that way (East / Central / West maps).
When you play online, you will see other players building Safe Houses. These are perfect to fast travel to far-off regions where no Distribution Center is nearby. You can also make your own safehouses, although they are quite expensive in materials.
That’s how you unlock and use Fast Travel in Death Stranding.
Bonus Tip: For short distances, using Ziplines is quicker than entering / exiting your private room (and Ziplines are cheaper to build). Consider building a Zipline network. You can place Ziplines 300 meters apart and zip from one to the other very quickly. Put multiple in a row and you can cover vast distances in seconds. Ziplines and Safehouses are automatic story unlocks later in the game.