Watch Dogs Legion (WDL) has a unique gameplay feature that lets you recruit any person you see in the game.
How to recruit new Operatives (Agents / Playable Characters) in Watch Dogs Legion:
- Walk up to a person and hold L1/LB to scan them
- Hold R1/RB to save them to recruits
- Open the Team Menu, scroll over the recruit and press Square (PlayStation) / X (Xbox) to start their Recruitment Mission
- Complete the Recruitment Mission and they will join your Team, thus becoming playable Characters
- For people who dislike DedSec (Albion / Kelley / Royal Guard), you need to buy the Deep Profiler Upgrade from the Tech Menu. It allows you to see clues after saving those people to the recruits, doing the clues will unlock their recruitment quest.
It’s worth noting that Watch Dogs Legion also has a Permadeath mode. If your Operative dies they will be gone from the game. But this is optional and you can choose at the start of the game whether to disable permadeath or not.
The game actually gives you a good tutorial how Recruitments work during the early Main Mission “Reporting for Duty”. Simply play the first few Story Missions up until that point and you’ll automatically have to recruit a Construction Worker.
The best Character to play for Exploration purposes is the Construction Worker because they have Cargo Drones that you can climb on to fly to any area or rooftop with ease.
You unlock the most powerful Agents by turning boroughs defiant (» Watch Dogs Legion Defiance Challenges Guide).
The profession / job of a person determines what skills they will have. You will also see some good operatives getting marked on the map by green icons after making enough story progress. While exploring the city you can also see people with green dots above their head, indicating they are highly skilled. You can play the game with any character and skillset you like.
For more guides check out the Watch Dogs Legion Wiki & Strategy Guide.