In the Eye of the Beholder is the 20th and final main story mission in Nioh 2. This walkthrough will guide you through all areas of the In the Eye of the Beholder Main Quest.
In the Eye of the Beholder is unlocked when you complete The Blue-eyed Samurai.
Recommended Level: 114
Requirement: Complete Main Mission The Blue-eyed Samurai.
Reward: Book of Reincarnation x1, Zen Manual x1
At the start of the mission, Mumyo and William will join forces with you. This means you have 2 companions following you and killing monsters for you now. They will stay with you until you reach the boss (then you’re on your own).
Essentially, what you must do is backtrack to where you destroyed the last yellow crystal that dropped a Dragon God Jewel (the one you needed to insert in a Dragon Statue) in Main Mission The Mausoleum of Evil. In fact, we are now back on the same map as that mission. However, we start on the opposite end and some stairs in the central tower have turned.
From the 1st Shrine start by going straight ahead into the central tower. The bridge will be sideways and the only way is to drop down here.
After dropping down, go straight ahead and outdoors on the balcony (staying on the same floor you dropped down to, do not go back upstairs). Once outside you will see two Yokai in glass containers. Climb the ladder left of them.
We’re almost there. Remember where the last yellow Crystal was in The Mausoleum of Evil? If not, look up where an Aberrant Soldier is shooting his rocket arm at you. That’s where you need to go!
In order to get there, walk under the platform where that Aberrant Soldier is standing and enter the building on the right (some stairs leading inside the building). Climb up the ladder of that building and you’ll be on the same floor as the Aberrant Soldier already.
Go upstairs behind the Aberrant Soldier (exactly same place where the yellow crystal was in previous main mission). There will now be an opening in the wall. But first it will trigger a Dark Realm with a Tengu and an Ubume. You must defeat those two to make the Dark Realm go away, then head through the opening in the wall.
Right behind this is the 2nd Shrine.
You’re almost at the endboss. Just follow the path straight ahead of the 2nd Shrine to reach a big gate. Open the gate to trigger the boss fight. On your way are many enemies, which you can ignore. The only one you’ll want to kill for sure is the last Yokai Realm enemy. This one won’t respawn when you’ve killed it once, making the path to the endboss easier if you die and need to retry.
For the upcoming boss it is highly advisable to have 8 Elixirs and some more left in stock! You can farm Elixirs from killing enemies or offer your gear to the Kodamas at a Shrine and sometimes they give them randomly to you. You should also consider backing up your save game (PS4 Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Copy to PS+ / USB). In case you run out of Elixirs you can copy it back to get your Elixirs back. This way you don’t have to farm them again and you always have enough Elixirs for the fight. This is the hardest boss in the game by far and you’ll be thankful for any healing you can get.
Otakemaru Boss Fight
Otakemaru uses Brute, Feral, and Phantom forms (the ones you can transform to yourself, using the same move set). He will shift between these forms regularly. At 50% health he changes to his real form with a completely different move set. At 25% health he changes his move set yet again and you’ll see swords flying next to him which he frequently throws around and can one-hit you.
This is the hardest boss in the game because he has so many phases and different moves that can potentially kill you in a single hit. First let’s go over what attacks to use, then we’ll go through each phase and what his attacks in each of them.
Attacks to use: Use the Spear in high-stance. Run towards the enemy and hit to do a quick slice while running, immediately followed by a Ki Burst with Spear Flourish skill equipped (it will do a quick rotation for extra damage). If you can manage to get behind the boss you do double the damage. Just run around him and keep moving at all times. The boss is extremely fast, if you do slow attacks you will take a lot of damage. Attacking while moving is far less risky and makes it easier to evade attacks. In the time it takes him to finish an attack animation you can already slice him and be gone again. With normal attacks that wouldn’t be possible, so only use single attacks while running followed by Spear Flourish for all of the fight.
Magic to Use: Carry 5 Rejuvenation Talisman (healing) and 5 Steel Talisman (defense). Use whenever it’s safe to do so. This fight takes a long time and without Steel Talisman some attacks can one-hit you. The Rejuvenation Talismans are like carrying 5 extra Elixirs so you can last longer.
- Phase 1 (100%-50% Health): During this phase the boss will switch between Feral (Electric with Daggers), Phantom (Purple colored with ranged attacks) and Brute (Red colored with heavy melee attacks).
- Feral (Daggers): Run to his right and do the spear slice while running followed by Spear Flourish skill. When he does his red aura attacks, either get good at timing the counters or dodge to the right when he starts his dash animation. Sometimes he jumps in the air and slashes the ground with his daggers, this leaves him vulnerable for a short moment if you can outrun / dodge it. Feral is his fastest and wildest move set but it doesn’t do super much damage with Steel Talisman + Rejuvenation active at same time. Just focus on dealing as much damage as possible during this phase.
- Phantom (Ranged): He will throw his blade around which is hard to evade. Luckily it does little damage. Steel Talisman + Rejuvenation Talisman at the same time are your friend here. You won’t even notice he’s hitting you because Steel blocks most of it and Rejuvenation heals you as fast as you’re losing health. Just keep running to his right and keep doing the above-mentioned attack.
- Brute (Swinging Club): This is his slowest form. Let him miss a combo. As he finishes, run to his back, do the above-mentioned attack, retreat and repeat. He will swing the club back and forth quite a lot, don’t run into it.
- Phase 2 (50%-25% Health): He will now go into his true form, no longer switching between Feral, Phantom or Brute. For the rest of the fight he stays in the same form.
- When he rams his sword into the floor and comes rushing towards you with a jump at the end, he will follow up with an explosion (deals heavy damage). Just before he lands from the jump, dodge in a 45° angle to his right. Do not dodge at the moment he jumps off, he’ll adjust and hit you. You have to time it just right and dodge in the last moment. Remember him jumping is bad = dodge right. Always follow up with a heavy high-stance hit from behind after he jumped and missed! He can’t move for a short moment.
- When he slams his sword on the floor it will either set it on flames or electrify everything within a large radius. If you are too close to him you won’t have enough time to get away and there’s nothing you can do about it in this case. If you are at mid-distance you will have just enough time to run away from the area of effect.
- When he does a red charged attack, run away! He strikes very fast, making it hard to time it right. And if you fail to time it right he’ll follow up with a couple more strikes. It’s too risky, just run.
- When he slams an ice sword in the ground he will summon 3 puddles of water where you are walking. Quickly run away. The 3 water puddles will kill you if you get hit by all 3. They do very heavy damage.
- When he casts ice spears that fly towards you, just walk or run sideways at a distance, they will miss (they can’t home in on you).
- When he goes into Dark Realm mode just keep doing what you were doing. His attacks don’t change in Dark Realm, it’s the same thing just with slower Ki recovery for you.
- The best moves to exploit are his jumps, after those you have a short moment to land a hit.
- You will probably run low on Steel Talisman + Rejuvenation at this point. That’s fine, you should still have 7-8 Elixirs left when entering this phase.
- Phase 3 (25%-0% Health): He now has swords flying around him, which he will throw at you. He can use them for grapples from afar (easily outrun by going to the side) or he can throw the swords in a big circle and they will home in on you, this will one-hit kill you even if you block it!
- He will keep doing his previous moves and also learns new ones.
- If you see him throw his swords in a straight line with a gray glow, it’s a powerful grapple! It’s easy to evade by running right.
- If he throws the swords in a big circle around the arena, he will follow up by throwing them straight at you – don’t get hit by the straight throw! It will one-hit you even when blocked. So don’t stand still when he does that, run to the right to evade it.
- If he throws both swords towards you in a straight line, you’re probably dead if you can’t outrun it. Even if you block it can one-hit you.
- When he throws swords in the air, they will rain down on you. Get away fast by running towards his right in a 45° angle. If you get stuck in the rain of swords you’re dead. Do not try to block them, you will die trying.
- Try to have 1-2 Steel Talisman left for this phase so you don’t get one-hitted by the thrown swords as much. If you get one-hitted here frequently, level up some more, reskill and put 80+ points into Constitution for more health.
- Don’t bother blocking in this last phase, he will one-hit you even when you block. Better to keep moving and attacking while outrunning the attacks.
This finishes In the Eye of the Beholder main mission in Nioh 2. This was the final mission. Congratulations on beating Nioh 2!.
For all remaining Side Missions, check out our complete Nioh 2 Walkthrough.