Restless Spirits is the 51st side mission in Nioh 2. This walkthrough will guide you through all areas of Restless Spirits
Recommended Level: 104
Requirement: Unlock the Interim Speak with Shibata Katsuie IN THE INTERIM (see instructions below)
Reward: Urn Splitter Hatchets, Oni Shibata’s Waistguard, Oni Shibata’s Gauntlets, Oni Shibata’s Greaves
Unlock Requirement – Speak with Shibata Katsuie IN THE INTERIM
To unlock Shibata Katsuie in the Interim:
- First you must play sub mission The Shiftling’s Wise Judgement. At the start of that mission you can either recruit Hachisuka Koroku (guy that looks like Aquaman) or Shibata Katsuie (guy in thick armor with hatchets). For this requirement you must accept Shibata to your team. Then he follows you through the mission and you must fight Hachisuka Korku at the end (guy that looks like Aquaman). It’s important you finish the mission! If you were to recruit Hachisuka you’d have to defeat Shibata at the end, which you don’t want.
- Next play the mission Pervading Waters. If you completed Step 1 you will find Shibata Katsuie on a bridge fighting an Onyudo (big Yokai with long fire tongue). It’s between the 2nd and 3rd Shrine. Help him kill the Onyudo and talk to Shibata Katsuie afterward. Make him join your team and finish the rest of the mission. Beware, if you did not pick him in Step 1 to aid you in The Shiftling’s Wise Judgement, he will be upset with you and refuse to join you now!
- After Step 1 + 2, finish the story. After the story check for a gray icon in the bottom left corner of the world map to visit the Interim. In the interim Shibata Katsuie will now be there. Exhaust all dialogues with him.
- If Shibata isn’t there yet, exhaust the dialogues with everyone in the Interim and finish all their side quests too (talking to people in Interim unlocks some ‘hidden’ side quests). After all open side quests are completed visit the interim again to check for Shibata.
A bunch of Yokai and a rematch
First you will have to clear the bridge of Yokai. Watch out for the broken parts of the bridge where you can fall into death.
Once you cleared the bridge another Yokai gauntlet awaits you right after entering the castle grounds. Take care of the Yokai once again.
When you are done use the scaffolding and the ladder to head into the boss room.
Here you will have to kill 2 Yokai before the boss: Shibata Katsuie appears. Once he is defeated, the mission will succeed.
Shibata Katsuie Boss Fight
You have encountered him before in Ruin Draws Near main mission.
Shibata Katsuie is a Yokai monster boss with tusks like a boar and he uses fire element. He spends most of the fight charging at you, which you can’t outrun and must instead dodge out of the way a moment before he hits you.
Be sure you have found all Kodama in the region to start with extra Elixirs. Equip as many Rejuvenation Talisman as you can carry (Onmyo Magic Skill). It heals you over time and each Rejuvenation is like having an extra Elixir on you. Make sure you have light armor on below 30% equipment weight for faster Ki recovery and to be more agile (you need to move a lot in this fight).
Now for the fight itself: Remember that attacking from behind does double the damage, so let’s make use of that knowledge. I would recommend staying in mid-stance for this. Low-stance doesn’t do enough damage and high-stance can be a bit too slow. The spear works great here again. Its mid-stance attack has big Ki drain on enemies and is very agile. Once his Ki is depleted you can unload a few combos on him.
There are 3 moves after which you can safely attack (don’t attack after anything else):
- His grapple move (indicated by white fog) – dodge to the side just a moment before he hits you (after he has started jumping towards you). Then you can land 2-3 hits from behind. Do not try to outrun this, he’ll home in on you anyway. Dodging only!
- His charge – he will charge back and forth a number of times. Sometimes twice, sometimes 4 or more times (the amount is random). Don’t try to outrun this, he’ll home in on you and hit you. Instead, stand still and let him charge at you like a bull and dodge away in the last moment. Then he has no chance to correct course and will charge past you. Wait till he’s done charging back and forth, then land 2-3 hits from behind.
- His red aura (charged) multi-strike combo. This attack is absolutely devastating. Get good at Burst-countering it. If your timing is off just keep hitting + Burst Counter 3 times in a row. Odds are, one of the 3 will Burst-Counter him through sheer luck. Even if the timing is off, it can still block the incoming damage of his strikes. Try to use the first Burst Counter when he’s about to land his first strike on you. If you fail, repeat the Burst Counter a few more times to protect yourself from damage (if you don’t he will kill you). If the burst counter works you can land ~3 hits from the front. If you block or evade his charged attack, he will need a good 5 seconds to recover so get behind him and do a combo from behind.
Just focus on ‘exploiting’ these 3 moves. Really all you need is to learn those 3 & dodge everything else. The trouble is his move set is really random sometimes and he will add a strike to his combos which you can’t predict (e.g. after slashing down, he may or may not follow up with a slash up). It’s not worth the risk. So play it safe, dodge his attacks, attack from behind between the 3 above-mentioned moves.
This finishes Restless Spirits mission in Nioh 2.
For all other Mission Walkthroughs, check out our complete Nioh 2 Walkthrough.